13. Bobby

it's been about a month, but I'm back! hope you enjoy this chapter and get ready for the next chapter!

word count: 3.8k.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN BOBBY

The Impala rumbles as Dean drives fast along the concrete road for a few hours. There's no music playing except for the rain pattering slowly on the windows, and both of your uneven breaths. You keep your chin in your right palm as your elbow rests against the closed windowsill, biting your lip in anxiousness. Your eyebrows are scrunched in, the uneasiness of not knowing if Bobby is okay, is making you feel sick. Your body is completely tense like his is and you aren't sure how to speak to him or express your emotions at the moment.

From Minnesota to Pennsylvania is going to take some time to get there, but you and Dean earlier agreed not to stop until you reach Bobby at the hospital. You notice his leg shaking and his knuckles turning red as he holds onto the wheel incredibly tight. Turning your head slightly, your face softens as you remember Dean's undeniably closer connection with Bobby than you. You're not trying to lessen your feelings about how you feel towards Bobby, or your connection with the man who became like a father figure, a friend... But to see Dean look incredibly heartbroken about Bobby, someone who really looks out for Sam and Dean more than their own father did...it makes you reach out for him.

Dean slightly flinches at your touch on his arm. He doesn't expect it, not because he doesn't think you care for him, but because he thought it would be awkward considering the things that have been going on between you two.

"What's on your mind?" You ask him, voice just above a whisper.

He shakes his head and purses his lips. It seems like he doesn't want to talk about it, and you don't want to push him. But after everything you two have spoken about, you're hoping he'll open up for just a moment.

"Dean?"

He sighs heavily and suddenly you're thinking he's about to snap at you. Maybe, he'll even ignore you. But he doesn't. And you sigh in relief as he turns his head to look at you for a few seconds, then glares back at the road.

"Losing Bobby," he begins to speak, "and then losing me. I can't see how Sam will be okay. How any of you will be okay."

"We haven't lost him yet."

"But if things aren't looking so good, I can't see how it'll be alright."

"The best thing to do right now Dean, is to just be there for him. Be there for each other, no more thinking about the what if's on things we can't change."

It hits the both of you here that you're not only talking about Bobby, but about him too. He doesn't turn to look at you as he drives, but shifts in his seat uncomfortably. You're right, and he knows it and now so do you. If things like Dean's inevitable death can't change, the best thing to do is stay in the now and be there for each other.

"You know, that time we all stood with Bobby while John left... Bobby told me that it's okay to not feel okay. After losing my parents, I was always worried I wouldn't cope. I still kinda worry. He told me that it's normal to worry about things and be scared and...sad. But he also told me that if we isolate ourselves and if we don't keep some hope, then all of the things we fight back against is just going to consume us if we let it win. We can't let it win."

He finally looks at you for a moment that felt like forever. Your eyes stay glued on his, sadness filling the air between. Your hand falls from your thigh, slowly traveling across the cold, smooth leather of the impala. You're reaching out to him silently, hoping he notices.