The Test Of Friendship

A/N Based on the Greek legend

There were once two best friends named Sam and Colby. They had been best friends since they were little, everyone knew that their bond was strong. They were like brothers. Both of them shared a love of exploring, and they frequently explored their kingdom whenever they got the chance. It often got them into mischief, but they couldn't help themselves, they loved it.

The boys, now both in their teens, were exploring the top of the ancient mountain. No one dared climb it because it contained many dangers, loose rocks, far drops, you name it. But Sam and Colby were fearless.

Colby was an expert climber, he was a few feet in front of Sam, and yelled back to him.  "Need a hand, slowpoke!?" laughed Colby.

"In your dreams!" Sam laughed back.

Colby reached the top first and lent a hand to Sam who grabbed it in defeat. He pulled Sam up to the top of the mountain, Colby's foot slipping and causing a loose boulder to tumble down the mountain.

The mountain did contain a trail for anyone who needed to pass through the kingdom, but Sam and Colby always liked to do things the more exciting way, it was exhilarating for them. They watched as the boulder rolled down the side of the mountain, heading straight for a group of travellers and their horses on the trail. The boulder missed them by mere inches. Sam and Colby hurriedly made their way down the mountain and skidded to a stop when they realized that the traveller was none other than their King Elton and his men. Sam and Colby quickly dropped to their knees, bowing.

"Your highness!!" said Sam.

"You imbeciles!"  shouted King Elton. "Which one of you just tried to kill me?"

"Your highness, it was me," said Colby. "I wasn't trying to kill you; it was merely an accident."

"Surely you have to believe him, your highness," said Sam. "He meant no harm."

"Silence!" shouted King Elton. "You have committed an act of treason against your king and shall be put to death."

"No! You can't do that!" shouted Sam. "It was my idea to climb the mountain, don't blame Colby."

"A likely story, that I will not believe," said King Elton. "I will, however, allow the condemned to have one final request before he dies. So tell me, what is your final request?"

"I wish to say goodbye to my parents," said Colby. "They're only a day's journey from here."

"Absolutely not!" said the King. "How do I know that you won't flee forever to escape your execution?"

"You have my word!" said Colby.

"That's not good enough!" replied King Elton.

"Your highness," started Sam. "I will take his place until he returns."

"What?!" said Colby. "No, Sam you can't."

"Please Colby!" said Sam. "I know you would do the same for me. Please let me do this for you."

"Sam, you understand," started King Elton. "that if Colby does not keep his promise to return, that you will die?"

"Yes, I understand," replied Sam.

King Elton was shocked. He refused to believe that this boy would really be willing to give his own life for his friend's. He saw this as a perfect opportunity to test their friendship, and show them that true friendship does not exist. No one would be stupid enough to choose loyalty over life. He was not going to make this easy for them. He would prove them wrong.

"Very well," said King Elton. "Colby, you have three days to return back for your date of execution, and if you do not, Sam will die in your place."