Chapter 6: Blooming friendship

Monday again, and Win went early to school to save a table for him and his best friends in the law school library. Win carries his leather bag for his Macbook and iPad and a sling bag for his pens, notes, organizer, and some essentials. Forget everything but not the skincare essentials. This was ingrained in him by his sister Shemara, and this habit was pretty much evident with the siblings' amazingly flawless skin.

He was one of the earliest to arrive. There were only about four people inside the library, apart from the librarian and her assistants. Near the entrance, Win saw his former classmates and good friends from the undergraduate.

"Hi, Win!" the buff, fair-skinned guy said.

"Winnnnnnie" the shorter one greeted excitedly though in a hushed voice since they're inside the library.

"Hey! I'm fine. How are you two? Are you block mates?" Win responded.

"Unfortunately, yeah...we're in Manresa." the buff one answer who is Newton Ledesma or New for short. He is also a CPA, same class as Win's during college. He earned a glare from the shorter one, the feistiest of them all during college. Guinevero "Gun" Vicencio was popular during their undergraduate. He was a member of the Jaguar, the Accountancy program's talent organization, was the head cheerleader, dancer, and a consistent honor student.

"I wished we're also in Wigmore. You three are really lucky. Even the random block selection, you, Khao, and Love are still inseparable." Gun said.

"Yeah. We really expected to be separated this time but lo and behold, the three of us are still together." Win remained standing as he was still thinking of getting a corner table.

"Lucky is an understatement," New interjected. "You are also in the same class with the Crown Prince and his close buddies."

"Not really. Their presence didn't lighten the cases assigned by the professors sooo..." Win refuted. "By the way, I'll secure now a table in the corner before the other students arrive. I hope we can hangout soon...after our classes tonight?"

"Sure. Whoever finishes their class first, just send a message. We can meet in front of the law school office. I know a great place to dine." Gun excitedly agreed.

Win left his two friends to their own devices and hurriedly secured the table near the corner of the library, far from the main door, so that he couldn't be distracted by the new arrivals. Win is the type who wants to focus on his readings.

He then settled comfortably and brought out his MacBook, iPad, the pad of yellow paper for note-taking, and the annotated textbook of the subjects for the day. Following his prepared schedule, Win started with the Constitutional Law and started reading the cases assigned per topic. He already read in advance the textbook, so he already has in mind to find the subject matter for which the case was assigned.

He was on his fourth case already, about 30 minutes since he settled in the library, when Win noticed a figure standing in front of him. By instinct, Win raised his head from his readings and saw Prince Bright standing on his front, smiling and both his hands placed inside his pockets. Win then removed his headset and noticed that all heads in the library are turned toward his direction. He shrugged it off and instead greeted the Prince with his signature smile.

"Hi..." Prince Bright greeted with a genuine smile.

"Hello Your Royal High...I mean Bright," Win greeted the Prince.

"Soooo...uhm about the case compilation," Bright said while scratching the back of his neck, awkwardness evident.

"Oh yeah, I nearly forgot about it," Win responded. "Here you go..." Win handed Bright a 2-inch thick fastened paper. "Since I wasn't able to get your e-mail, I decided to print them for you to use this week."

"Wow...you didn't have to, Win. But thank you so much for this."

"No problem. Glad I could help."

Win was about to return to his readings when Bright cleared his throat and asked...

"Can I read here with you? My friends are not yet here, and..." Bright explained while turning his head around the library. "And I'm not yet comfortable sharing a table with someone I don't know." the Prince continued.

"Sure. Khao and Love are also joining. They're on their way." Win smiled at the Prince before putting his AirPods back and returned his focus on his readings.

The Prince sat on the chair next to Win and started his readings with a smile. He found a new friend, Bright thought.

Fifteen minutes past and there was peaceful silence between the two law students. Win was intensely focused on his readings while the Prince gave the Duke (albeit still a secret) glances from time to time. The Prince can't help it.

From a distance, New and Gun are secretly giggling, glancing at the visually stunning pair studying in the corner of the library.

Then Khao and Love arrived, visibly surprised that the Prince is sitting at the same table as Win.

"Hello, Your Highness," Love greeted laced with formality. "Hi, Prince Bright," Khao said, who is unusually nervous.

"Hi, Love. Hi Khao. And since we're block mates, you can call me Bright. The honorifics are only for special occasions." Bright answered.

While settling, Khao and Love gave Win the "what is he doing here" look. Win just responded with a small smile.

The four of them then proceeded with their readings, and a quarter before the lunch break, Bright's buddies Tay and Off came. Bright introduced formally to the three and asked if they also can join, to which the three were left with no choice but to say yes.

Khao complained that he's already starving, so they decided to have their lunch break. The Prince volunteered to pay for lunch as "thank you" to Win for printing him the case compilation, which earned some meaningful glares from Tay and Off. Khao and Love were tempted to jump into it by teasing Win but opted not to, waiting for the time when the three of them can be left alone. Win needs to be interrogated, Love thought.

The six went for lunch and rode with Bright's heavily tinted car...together upon the Prince's insistence. Surprisingly, Khao and Love hit on quickly with the goofy Off and cheeky Tay. With this bunch of people, this school year could be a lot of fun, Win thought.