Chapter 18: The Big Day

It was 6AM, and Win woke to a frantic Sugbo Palace. He found his mom and siblings having their breakfast in their private kitchen, but they can still fill the hysteria of the day's event, with Mr. Osmeña in the corner busy on his phone calling numerous people. The veteran chief of staff is coordinating with various committee heads who are responsible for making sure that the investiture ceremony is flawless to the tee.

"Good morning, everyone. Good morning mom," Win greeted everyone while giving his mom a peck to her cheeks.

"Good morning, son. Are you nervous?" Win's mom, now the Lady Rama, probed.

"Anxious, mom. After today, I would be kissing goodbye my life as commoner Win," the duke answered. "Also, I'm not sure how some of my friends would take this news."

"You mean how would Prince Bright take the news?" Sheraton asked. "I'm still puzzled why you didn't tell him anything. I mean, of all people, he would understand."

"Uhmmm, as I wanted only a few people to know as much as possible until I'm introduced to the world. It's not that I'm afraid he'll judge me or anything, as he basically is already at the pinnacle of the aristocracy. It's just that...I want to be simply Win to everyone until I'm no longer Win."

"I get you," Shemara said, sympathetic to her brother's plight. "Imagine starting tomorrow; I can no longer call my younger brother by his first name in public. I'm still getting the hang of calling you Your Grace," Win's sister added while rolling her eyes.

"Oh my gosh, yeah, Shem. You're right. How can I curtsy before Win in a public gathering when I literally changed his diapers before when mom and dad were not yet at home," Sherine, the eldest, said, which earned a laugh from the rest of the family.

"Hey, shut up. At least I was a cute baby," Win retorted.

"Yeah, and grew taller but still a cry baby," it was Shemara, which made the small family laugh again.

After their breakfast, Win attended the palace staff meeting, which was presided by Mr. Osmeña. The young duke was really thankful that he was left with efficient household staff by the previous duke. Win was thrust into the aristocracy and life of legacy and responsibility without being apprised to them all while growing up. He had his eyes set on becoming a lawyer, working for a reputable law firm, and live a regular life. Yet destiny has some other plans, and he was brought to a world beyond his imagination. Not to mention he gets to form a friendship with the king-in-waiting — a man with magnetic orbs and a boyish smile.

WHAT? Did he just think of Bright and describe his smile, Win asked himself.

By brunch, the stylists and make-up artists arrived to help the entire Rama family get ready for the ceremony. The family matriarch is a simple woman, an academic at that, and has absolutely no idea about fashion and dressing up. Shemara, the second daughter, however, has an eye for art and fashion, so she took over the coordination with designers and stylists for the family's ensemble.

Shemara is particularly excited about Win's couture. Top Cebu designers scrambled to get the gig of designing the new duke's ceremonial robes that Shemara had to go over hundreds of designs submitted. This is a coveted gig for fashion designers as much of Cebu's high society will be in attendance, and the duke parading himself of the chosen design is the best marketing one could get.

After signing strict confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, the chosen designer got to meet the new duke and discuss the design and fit best appropriate. The lucky designer is the Dubai-based Cebu native Furne One, who was ecstatic upon discovering that the new duke is a dashing man in his early 20s, with broad shoulders, a tiny waist, and a face that could elevate even the trashiest design. But of course, One's design is far from trash, and he's known for his iconic and original masterpieces.