5 | duke arano

Night had approached. The orange skies were becoming dotted with violet, and the stars began to reappear in the skies. The group was standing on the empty train station, resting for a moment to let Laxus recover from the lengthy train ride.

Su was in the process of reading over a thick pocketbook while Maxence walked in circles around her feet. The other's hadn't bothered to ask what she was reading, seeing as she was muttering under her breath in a language they didn't understand.

"I'm good." Laxus said, speaking for the first time since they left Magnolia. "Let's get moving."

Su nodded, closing the book in her hand and putting it in her bag. She looked back at the group, who were looking at her with expectancy.

"The Duke lives in the manor on the other side of town. It's about a twenty minute walk." Su said, pointing at the outline on the other side of the town. "We should move since he doesn't like visitors past 8 pm."

"Alright, lead the way." Freed said.

Su nodded, and the group walked in overall silence, with the only noise being Maxence's constant breathing as they trodded ahead of the group. Occasionally, Su was greeted by the townsfolk and she would wave at them but other than that they travelled without interruption.

The group approached the manor gates, which guarded the manor on the top of a hill. Su walked up to the guard.

"State your reason." The guard gruffly said.

"I'm Su, and we're with Fairy Tail." Su said, gesturing to the group behind her. "I'm here to meet with Duke about a job."

The guard nodded, and the gates slid open. Su turned to the others, gesturing them to follow her.

"So have you worked for Duke Arano before?" Freed said, coming to walk up next to Su.

"Yes." Su said, "He's been a target of dark guilds before.  I dealt with a terrorist threat on the town before."

"Is that how people here knew who you were?" Bickslow asked.

"Yeah."

They reached the huge doors of the manor, and Su raised a hand and knocked on the door. While they waited, Maxence crawled up Su's body like tree trunk, situating itself around her shoulder as normal. A few minutes later, a servant opened the door.

Su and the Thunder Legion were urged into the house. They wiped their shoes at the door, and the others were looking around the impeccably decorated house.

"The Duke is the lounge." A servant informed the group.

Su nodded once more.

"The lounge is this way." Su said pointing down the long corridor to the right.

Her metal feet clanked against the floor, the sound echoing through the relatively empty manor.

"Ah, Miss Su." The Duke said as they stepped into the room, "Thank you for coming."

"Sorry for the hour. The train ride was long, Your Grace." Su said.

"It's fine. I'm just glad you're here." The Duke said, "Come take a seat."

Su took a seat, though the others hesitated for a moment. Su caught their movement from the corner of her eye.

"This is the Thunder Legion, your Grace. They're accompanying me." Su said, introducing the group.

"Pleasure to meet you all, thank you for coming." The Duke said. "Take a seat."

"So, your Grace." Freed said, "Can you tell us more about what is happening?"

"Yes." The Duke said, "Let me begin. So as you know, several attacks have happened on my business partners that are essential to the survival of Milos. Our main trading ships have all been hijacked or bombed. Word reached me a few days ago of an attack being planned on the manor."

"Do you know the dark guilds name or location, your Grace?" Su questioned.

"We know their mark." The Duke explained, setting a file on the table. "They leave this symbol as a calling card after they make a move."

The group looked at a drawing of the symbol, which was triangle with a cross in it. A couple slightly charred notecards with the symbol in black or orange painted on it were attached.

"Also, we have spotted these two fleeing crime scenes. The pictures aren't great, but it's at least something." The Duke said, pointing at the files.

Su moved the pages about the symbols aside before coming across two slightly shaky photographs.

The first showed a small feminine figure with pale skin running away from a burning ship. They were dressed in a dark blue bodysuit with silver detailing. A black hood was attached to the bodysuit, and it covered her entire face, with the exception of their mouth, which was quirked into a menacing grin. A red guild mark was visible on the right hand of the person.

The second photo showed a muscular figure standing on a roof. This photo was cleaner, and it was clear the figure in the photo was unaware the photo was being being taken. He was dressed in a white two-piece suit with a dark blue undershirt. He had spiky orange hair and brown eyes, with a guild mark that matched his hair placed squarely on his neck. Su's eyes furrowed at the photo.

"Is there something wrong, Miss Su?" The Duke asked.

"Do you remember the guild that attacked Milos two years ago, Your Grace?" Su questioned.

"Yes. The Reaping Crows?"

"That man there is named Alexander. He was a member of the Reaping Crows and blew up city hall during the attack, Your Grace." Su said, "I wonder how he escaped prison. I saw the Rune Knights arrest him."

"Did a prison break happen recently, Your Grace?" Freed asked.

"Not that I heard of, then again the Magic Council works in unknown ways." The Duke said, "So this Alexander guy. He's attacked me before. Do you think he could be out for revenge?"

"Possibly. Is there anything else on him, Your Grace?" Su asked, studying the picture of the other figure.

"Both of them have been spotted heading east of town to the forests. I suspect that is where their guild hall or hide-out is located, but that is all we know." The Duke said.

"Very well." Su said, picking up the folder from the table. "Thank you for your time, Your Grace."

"Good luck, Fairy Tail." The Duke said.

Su led the group out of the manor.

"So what's our move?" Evergreen said, "Preferably finding an inn?"

"All of inn's in the city close for customers at 8. I suggest we find something to eat for dinner and then camp out in the woods. I have an idea with where the dark guild could be." Su said, "But for now, we should focus on getting something to eat."

"That sounds good to me!"

last edited: october 21, 2021word count: 1,142

word count: 1,142