8 | crash

Everyone has their own way of relaxing. For some, it might be reading a good book or making some bread. For Su, it was working on her prosthetics. There was nothing more comforting to her than sitting down and working on her prosthetics. The clang and grit of her tools against the metal prosthetics was music to her ears, and she found herself humming as she worked on her right leg. She was meaning to work on her leg on the train, but it was too crowded for her to grab a seat to herself so she had to wait until she got back to the Magnolia. She had wanted to return to her condo for the night to work, but Erza had showed up and dragged her back to the Guild to come celebrate. She had complied, not wanting to butt heads with the scarlet mage, and had returned to the Guild with her work after changing out of her burned clothing.

She was sitting at a table tucked away in the corner, completely alone save for Maxence who was curled into Su's jacket on the table, the remains of Su's dinner sitting next to her. While she was at the lively guild hall, Su had opted to work in peace, wearing her black headphones, letting her music give her a rhythm to work too.

"I don't believe we've met."

Su looked up from her work, to see a auburn-haired wizard standing in front of her with two steins in his hand. She paused her music lacrima and pulled down her headphones.

"I don't think we have. I'm Su, nice to meet you." Su said, extending a hand to the wizard.

Gildarts grinned, shaking her hand. "I'm Gildarts Clive."

Su's eyes widened.

"You're Gildarts?" Su said.

"Yup, the one and only." Gildarts said, "What, did you expect something else?"

"Nah, you just seem way more laid-back compared to the stories I heard." Su said, "Is that for me?"

"If you drink." Gildarts said.

Su looked over at the drink.

"I do. As long as it isn't mead I'm good." Su said.

"It's ale."

"Good. Thanks for the drink." Su said, taking a swig of the ale. "There's nothing like Fairy Tail ale."

"I agree." Gildarts said. "So what's your story?"

Su looked at him confused, before he pointed at the leg she was fixing.

"Oh." Su said, "I was born without legs. My arm happened in an accident years ago. How about you?"

"You ever heard of the Black Dragon of the Apocalypse, Acnologia?" Gildarts asked.

"Yeah, wasn't he the one who attacked Tenrou Island?" Su questioned.

"Yup. A year before the whole Tenrou Island event, I ran into him. He took my leg, arm, and some internal organs." Gildarts said, "By the way, your prosthetics are strange. Who made them?"

"I did." Su said, "My arm at least."

Gildarts looked at her surprised.

"You made your prosthetics?" Gildarts said, "That's impressive."

"I was a blacksmiths apprentice back in my homeland." Su explained, "My mentor originally built my legs, but I built my arm from scratch. I've been maintaining and taking care of these things essentially by myself for ages."

"Is that why your craftsmanship is so foreign?" Gildarts said, looking at the leg with interest.

"I suppose so." Su said, shrugging as she dusted her hands off. "That should do."

Su picked up the leg from table, setting it on the ground. She pushed her shorts up so her connection points were visible, and picked up the leg, fiddling it back into place. A loud click sounded as the leg connected, and Su rolled her ankle in circles to check if everything was running smoothly.