Chapter 9 - Catch Up

"Oh hey.." I said turning to face the boys. They stood awkwardly behind me before asking if they could take a seat. I nodded and they join me at the table.

We ate in silence for about 10 minutes before Nick chocked on his food and broke the silence making us laugh.

"Nick you fucking idiot" Clay wheezed patting him on the back.
"No my fault the bread feels like cement"
"Then why get it!?"
"Because it's food!"

Clay laughs and wheezes, so does Nick. I smile for maybe the first time in 3 weeks. Noticing only one person wasn't laughing I turn to George and see him smiling in my direction, as if he knew how I was feeling. He avoided my eye contact and stared down at his food before sighing and asking to talk to me privately. I agree and follow him out of the canteen.

"Are you ok?"
"What?"
He hesitated before repeating the question. "What happened?"
"I-..." I stop when I feel tears threaten to fall. "George I can't..." I say before feeling the tears start down my face. He places a hand on my shoulder and reassures me.

"M-Mums in the hospital..." I sniffle. Before he could say anything I continue. "The bills t-too high... I-I'm losing money on b-bills, food, rent and h-her hospital fees" I finish and scrunch up my face in hope it'll all go away. The tears, the pain and the responsibility's.
"George I can't anymore. I need to win that fight... if I don't..." I trail off losing confidence in my words. "If I don't I might aswell tell the doctors to pull the plug"

George was lost for words. I didn't expect him to have a big speech telling me it would be alright, and honestly... I didn't want him to. Instead he pulled me into a hug and let me sob into his shoulder. Actions really do speak louder than words. Just being in his hold made me feel secure. Not in a romantic way, but in the arms of a family member.

"I want you to stay with me"
"W-What?"
"It's clear your not alright and I want to help you" what he was saying made sense, but I don't typically want to put my problems onto George. "Please y/n... I just want you to get better" I nod and wipe my face.

"I need to go to the office, I should probably let them know what's happened and what's going to happen for the next month..." George nods and we walk to the principals office.

George POV

Y/n wipes her face and I tell her she looks fine. She walks off to the principals office and I just stand watching her. Y/n has and always will be one of my best friends, and I hate to see her like this. I'm not going to say I know how she's feeling because I really don't. I couldn't even imagine the stress of needing to win a fight for your mothers life.

All I can really do it support her and make sure she has everything she needs to continue. If she fails? I won't let her give up. I can help pay the bills and everything she needs. I know Clay and Nick would do the same if they knew. But this was bigger than anything I could share in 'guy talk'.

I'm probably going to sign out of school and help her move in with me today. I have a feeling she doesn't want to stay here for much longer anyway.

I head to the office and sign myself out before waiting outside of the principals office for y/n.

"George!" She slightly yells and jumps turning to see me.
"Sorry" I laugh.
"What are you doing here!?" She grabs my arm and makes us walk down the hallway.
"We're signing out of school, that way you can move in with me comfortably" I say making her smile. She nods and thanks me.

———

Sorry it was short!

If you have any ideas you would like to see, let me know!