3_Chapter 2: in Baguio

CHAPTER 2: BAGUIO

"You shouldn't have come." I said, as I walked past her. Completely ignoring her, or at least trying to appear that way.

I wanted to hug her, to tell her how much I missed her. I haven't seen her for ten years.

For ten years, I had to stay in America because of my parents' divorce. It was a bitter divorce, one that hit the tabloids and gossip magazines hard.

The marriage of the multimillionaire fell apart as wife filed for divorce. In the end there was no way to protect me, my parents decided to have me moved to my grandparents to save me from the scandal.

It was heartbreaking having to experience something like that. My family fell apart just before my eyes.

But what's harder was leaving her. Not being able to talk to her, to see her this close.

I wanted to stop and just hug her. To just squeeze her tight in my arms. To just look at her pretty face that I missed so much. But instead, I walked past her as she silently followed behind me.

We reached the red pickup truck, the one I bought just a year ago when I was forced to attend the election for our company's Board of Directors.

"Why did you bring this car, stupid?" I asked her as she silently handed me the key.

"I'm sorry, uncle asked me to." She bowed her head, as she tried to stop the tears forming at the corner of her eyes.

I cursed myself for hurting her. I have always been like this. Always hurting her. I nearly reached out for her and hugged her.

Instead, I snatched the key from her and started the engine.

I love driving fast, but not when she is with me. I'll never do that to her. I will never risk her safety.

I steal glances her way as I silently drove the car. "Do you want me to bring you home?" I asked her gently.

She was taken aback by my tone. She wasn't used to this. To this gentle tone. But I can't help it, not when I know I nearly made her cry.

"Can we have breakfast first?" She asked, she angled her head and smiled. She has already forgiven me even when I have not even asked her to.

"Where?", I asked.

"In Baguio," she said, smiling. I nearly stepped on the break after hearing that. Baguio is four hours away from Manila specially since I'm driving pretty slow for her.

"Are you kidding me?" I blurted out. Not shouting at her but with an edge on my voice.

"No, it's just a request. I can drive now too, you know." She said. Of course I know, I silently followed her life's course after all. Even when we were apart.

So I know that at twenty three she had already started her writing career. I also know that her father bought a car for her as a gift for her birthday last month.

Though her parents are both doctors, they are a mid- income earners compared to me and Ayato's. So it was a pretty big deal for her dad to be gifting a car to their daughter like that.

Our parents were best of friends. Ayato's, mine, and hers. That is how we came to know each other.

I remembered the first time I met her. She and her parents just moved in from the province and they invited my parents over. Ayato's parents were invited too.

She was three years old. I was six years old and Ayato was seven.

I remembered being so struck by how beautiful her auburn curls were. She was wearing a yellow dress with lace ribbons that complemented her ponytails.

Then she smiled, and her eyes shone brightly like the brightest of stars. I didn't know then, but maybe I was already in love.

She sat down with me and Ayato, but her eyes were fixed on him. Her eyes were fixed on his blonde hair, curious as to its color.

She completely ignored me. For a three year old girl, I was just like every one else. Just a boy with the same black boring hair and a mischievous smile.

So I stole her doll and made her cry. That way, she can never forget me.

It worked, she never did forget me.

I assume that she have always labeled me then, somewhere in her mind, as the evil boy who hates her. And I have never done anything else in my entire life to convince her otherwise.

I kept silent but did as she wished any way. We're going to Baguio.