4_Chapter 3: The Ranch

We reached Baguio.

She managed to fall asleep in the passenger's seat. Her auburn hair now covered her pretty face. She was always a lousy sleeper, never caring how she looked. Byt she always looked so beautiful to me.

It was five in the morning. Seeing that she is still asleep I continued to drive. I might as well just bring her to the ranch.

Right, we have hectares of farm lands in La Trinidad, my family's business is wine making. Strawberry farm. It was a thriving business now since my father introduced it in 2001 to the international market.

It was unique, pleasant, and has a distinct taste. It's made from strawberries after all, and not just strawberries but that special La Trinidad variety.

I smiled. I am proud of my father. I really am. Though I can never show it now because it will feel like I am betraying my mom and my grandparents.

My mother died of a broken heart. She committed suicide after their divorce was finalized. I never can understand why. And why right after the divorce she said she wanted.

But that is how depression works doesn't it? It suddenly knocks you over and you can't do anything to make it go away. I know for I have seen his mother suffer through it all.

It doesn't matter if my mother was right. It was her love for my dad that killed her. That is what I believed in.

I sighed. We finally reached the farm.

I parked the car beside the two storey old house that comes with the ranch.
I debated with myself whether to wake her up or to just silently watch her face for as long as possible.

But this is a rare opportunity, wasn't it? Seeing her this close again.

I took photo of her sleeping face using my mobile phone. Then her eyelids fluttered open.

"You look so stupid, baka." Was all I said as I pretended I was making fun of her.

She covered her face in shame. Why was I such a jerk to her. I sighed and got out of the car. She followed suit.

She breathed out the fresh air. "Baguio was just my way of asking you to bring me here. This was the place wasn't it?" she asked as recognition flashed in her face.

Yes. I nodded. The place when we all had a great time before my parents filed for a divorce. The last get together with everyone.

It was my tenth birthday. She was seven years old at that time. She have this soft freckles on her cheeks and she had complained she had gotten bigger.

She had always been on the curvy side. But I never saw what made her hate her figure. I love her in everyway. She is perfect. For me she is.

I remember her face clearly. It has the same expression as she has now. She asked if there is a ghost in that old house. It was an old house but well maintained, made from the most beautiful of narra logs and the most beautiful marble, well to his biased opinion at least.

I wanted to tell her then that there were no ghosts but Ayato already reassured her as he held her hand. So instead, I said the opposite. There definitely are ghosts in there, I said as I ruffled her hair and ran inside the house.

She broke free from Ayato as she ran and chased me inside, telling me to get out of the house for the ghosts might get me. She was worried for me. Even after I scared her.

She is scared, I can see from her face. So I went to grab her hand, and told her not to worry, that the ghosts respect me for I am a descendant of the master of the house.

She smiled at me. She told me she is not scared any more. Then she told me I must stick with her and Ayato.

Ayato again. I pushed her out of anger. Why does she always cling to Ayato. Why does she always bring him up. I can never understand then.

She fell down her knees. I remember the fear I felt when I saw her crying and her knees were scraped. I remember how bloody her knees were and how hurt she looked.

I kneeled with her and hugged her. Telling her I am sorry. She said it's okay even when she was still crying.

She never told her parents about it. She did not even tell Ayato. She pretended she fell from running. She told everyone I was the one who found her and that I was her knight in shining armor.

That woman. She is pretty amazing isn't she? She turned her head, and I realized she still is.