5_Chapter 4: Time

Manang prepared a full breakfast for us. Manang is my old nanny and now the caretaker of this ancestral house. She is now fifty five years old, but still as cheery as always.

The breakfast has fried pork sausage, egg, and garlic rice. They call it longsilog in their dialect.

I had to bite my lip to stop myself from grinning. She was eating wholeheartedly as always.

"How come everything just tastes excellent here?" She asked me as she muched away.

I handed her a glass of fresh milk. "You shouldn't really talk when your mouth is full." I scolded her.

She smiled at me as she took the glass, our fingertips brushing so lightly but I felt electric shocks straight to my heart. Her effect on me, it really has not changed at all.

She looked hurt when I pulled my hand away. I wanted her to understand my reaction but I sighed instead. What am I thinking? I can never make her understand for she doesn't feel the same. She never can.

We finished with our meal, with me jusy mostly watching her eat everything on the table. "That sort of like your talent, right?" I asked with a straight face.

"Yeah, if it can be called that." She blushed, defeated.

"It is. It's amusing to watch." I said. This time meaning my words. But because my face does not show my emotions well, I looked like I was teasing her about it.

"I missed even that." She said smiling.

"Missed what?" I asked, wondering what she is referring to.

"That. You teasing me. Just everything about you really. I missed you."

I got up from the dining table and went outside the balcony. I will kiss her right there and then if I stayed a minute more.

She followed me and stood beside me. I did not even dare to look at her. Just her scent is enough to make me want to kiss her.

"Do you want to go home now?" I asked. I wanted to return to Manila right away. I wanted to drive. I wanted to distract myself from these emotions bubbling through my chest.

"I'm actually running away." She said, smiling still.

"Why?" I asked. I did not expect that from her. It feels like a joke to me. She is not the type who will run away. She has always been just so kind. Obedient. Beautiful daughter to her parents.

"They want me to do something I did not want to do." She said, smiling.

"Aside from uncle telling you again to go on diet, what the hell could that be?" I asked.

She smiled. But her smile did not reach her eyes. She looked pretty sad. I've seen that look before. From my mother.

So I stopped asking. "Okay. How long do you plan to hide from them?"

"Three months." She said, smiling.

"You can stay." I said. Actually at this time I am praying for her to say yes. I wanted to beg her to stay. Let me take care of you. Just this once.

I froze when I felt her arms around me. She just embraced me without any warning. "Thank you." She whispered as I placed my hand on top of her hair and tried to pat it.

I don't really know how to comfort her. But her eyes warmed, yes, when she smiled, her eyes were as bright as the sun. I knew then I made the right decision.