Care (pt.2) | C. Weasley

"I think you're going to be happy today," I said to Charlie as I entered the room with a tray.

"Are you gonna keep me company all day?" he asked, smiling wide at me.

"Well, not all day. But there is a chance that I'll be taking the bandages off."

"Oh wow! Already?"

"I think so. I'll have to check everything first, but they should be healed enough now. And once they're off it shouldn't be long until you'll be cleared to go back to work."

He perked up at that. "Really?" I nodded. "Then let's do this!" He was quick to take his shirt off. He was already in shorts so I could see the bandages on his legs.

"Give me a minute," I said with a laugh. "Let me prepare this salve."

"What is it?"

"It should reduce any scarring and help them continue healing."

I mixed together all of the ingredients and set it aside. I put on a pair of gloves before getting closer to him.

"You ready?"

"Absolutely!"

I smiled at him before returning my attention to my work. I started with the smaller bandages on his arms. My nerves were high as I slowly peeled the fabric away, but I was relieved by what I saw. The cuts were healing perfectly.

"All good?"

"All good!" I reassured him. "So far, at least."

I dipped my finger into the salve and gently rubbed it onto the cuts. I did the same process with the large one on his leg. Everything was looking good there as well. I couldn't help but feel proud of my work.

"Almost done," I said. Just the three bigger ones on his torso were left. They were the ones I was most worried about. I started to pull off the largest of the bandages and Charlie winced. I stopped. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good. Keep going."

I waited another second to make sure before continuing to remove them. He sucked in a breath. When they were finally off, he let out a long sigh. I examined each cut. The stitches had held and healed pretty good. I dipped my finger into the salve and yet again spread it carefully along the skin. He winced again.

"Did that hurt? I'm sorry."

"It doesn't hurt," he said. I raised a brow at him, and he laughed. "Okay, it does a little. But I can take it."

"I'll be quick," I said, with a smile. I went back to it and tried to ignore the small flinches he made under my touch. Once I had used up all of the salve, I removed my gloves. "All done."

Charlie looked down at all of the cuts. "I'm good to work now?"

"I'm going to have you give it two more days."

"Really?"

"It's just to be safe, Charlie. Please."

He sighed. "Okay, okay. Doctor's orders!"

~

I pulled my jacket tighter around me as the wind cut through. Winter was well on its way now. My least favorite season. I'd usually be relaxing in the warmth of my home with a book or a cup of tea on a day like this. But Charlie was getting back to work today, and I had to see him. I trusted my judgement that he was healed enough, but it wouldn't hurt to check on him. Just to be safe.

I approached the pen he was in with caution. I didn't want to startle him or the dragon. I simply leant against a shed and watched. I paid attention to all of his movements for signs of discomfort or pain. His shoulders were squared and sure. His feet were planted, keeping him secure. His strong arms gripped the rope firmly.