Summer Nights | S. Black

"Bugger off, Sirius. Can't you go bother James?"

"Ah, but it's much more fun to bother you, love."

I rolled my eyes at the nickname. I still hadn't looked up from my textbook. I hoped ignoring him may work to send him away. When he sat down next to me, I knew I was wrong.

"Your cousin just doesn't tell me off the way you do. He enjoys my company far too much." I sighed. "Did I tell you what we did to Snivellus the other day?"

"I don't care, Sirius." I flipped to the next page of my book.

"Are you sure? It was pretty good. You should've seen the look on his face."

I slammed my book shut and finally looked at him. He didn't even flinch. "You know I'm not particularly fond of the way you guys make fun of him."

"It's not like we did it to you!" I narrowed my eyes at the boy next to me. He gave that smirk of his. "And you know that when I tease you it's out of love."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever you say, Sirius."

~

I heard distant voices downstairs. I got up from where I had been reading on my bed and poked my head out of the bedroom door.

"Your parents'll kill you," James said. "You know that right?"

"They won't care enough." The other voice belonged to Sirius. I hurried to join them downstairs. When my eyes landed on him, I smiled. I wasn't used to seeing him out of his school uniform. He turned to me. "(Y/n)! What're you doing here?" I stepped off of the stairs and finally reached the two boys. I suddenly felt nervous.

"I'm the one who should be asking you that. I'm staying with James' family for the summer while my parents are doing business in America."

"Lovely." He gave a small grin.

"Sirius has run away from home," James stated, putting a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"What?!" Sirius looked down at his feet. "So you're going to be staying here as well then?"

"Of course he is!" James smiled, putting an arms round each of our shoulders. Sirius looked back up at me. "This is going to be the best summer ever!"

~

My favorite part of summer was swimming. James' parents agreed to take the three of us to the beach on the hottest day of the year. The whole car ride I could just imagine the cool water. James and Sirius were talking about school, but I just listened to music and watched out the windows as we got closer and closer to our destination.

Soon enough, we were there. James, in usual James fashion, ran out as soon as the car had stopped in the parking lot. He wasted no time, taking his shirt off and throwing it down on the sand just before he reached the water. Sirius let out a laugh as we watched. James turned back to us and seemed appalled at the fact that we hadn't joined him already.

"I guess that's my cue." Sirius shot me a smile before throwing himself from the car and running. I watched him do the same as James before tackling him into the water. I finally got out when James' parents did and helped them with the things we brought. I walked down the sand to find the perfect spot before carefully setting down our stuff. James' parents decided to sit further up the beach than the boys and I. I didn't blame them. They probably wanted a holiday more than we did. I laid my blanket down and took a seat facing the water.

I felt my pulse quicken as I watched a shirtless Sirius laughing in the sunshine. I forced myself to look away. That was not gonna happen.

Instead, I searched through my bag, retrieving my sunscreen, my book, and my sunglasses.