10: Springtime

The end of spring break signified the last part of our senior year was beginning. It also meant that the most looked-forward-to event was less than a month away: prom. I knew this year was going to be terrible. I did not want to attend prom. Last year's prom was memorable only because of Stevien. This year, I wouldn't have my former best friend by my side. This year he would be with Beth-Ann. I wanted nothing to do with prom knowing full well that she would rub their relationship in my face, as she does every time she sees me, and she would yet again make me feel worthless.

As the spring sports season began, I was able to take my mind off the local "queen bee" and my former best friend. I threw myself into softball and homework to keep my mind occupied. Schoolwork was keeping me busy. Rocky and I fell into a study group on accident when we asked our math teacher for additional practice. Ms. Leamon sent us to the school library. There was a study room full of additional study tools and practice problems for all different classes. Once in the study room, we found the little study group. Surprisingly, we found Jacob Bailey along with Jason Weyland and Nanette Patton. Jason and Nanette were notoriously serious when it came to their studies. They were fighting for who would take salutatorian for our class. Stevien had valedictorian in the bag and made it look easy. These two, on the other hand, made it look like it wasn't worth the effort of the title. They constantly bickered with one another, questioning each other's ways of problem-solving, or arguing just to get under the other's skin. Rocky and I noticed there was something else going on between them the more time we spent with them.

Our study group helped each other no matter what classes we were studying. Rocky and Jacob were not in the honors classes as Jason, Nanette, and I, but we all took the time to help each other as best as we could if there were questions. We often found ourselves sitting together and working together during lunch. I had a hard time meeting up with them after school because of softball, but I enjoyed the time we were spending together. It was a welcomed distraction from all things Beth-Ann and Stevien, as she still could not wait to belittle me every chance she found.

I started getting into the routine of getting to school early to study in the study room with whatever group members would be there, which was usually just Jason and Nanette. At lunch, we would sit at a table towards the back of the cafeteria where the noise level was not quite so loud. After school, my attention was held by softball practice and games, followed by dinner at home, then homework to end my days. Dad noticed that something was different about me but only mentioned it once as my grades were doing much better despite having the addition of softball to my schedule and I had assured him that everything was fine. I was nearly back to my "normal" with softball finally in full swing (pun intended).

April came and went thanks to my newfound focus. My attitude seemed to be overly positive as well, despite the loss of the once-close friendship I had with my neighbor. He went on as if I had never existed to him. He still was at the top of everything he did. No matter what Stevien was doing, he was always number one. In baseball, his number was indeed one. He was the top local pitcher, statistically leading every category. As if his temper fueled his greatness, he walked into every game as if he held a grudge against every single player on the other team. He was not the same player as he was last year. He had changed, no longer the same care-free friend I once had.

Unlike previous years, Stevien and I never once rode together on the bus to away games. It was hard to get used to it, but I managed. I would sit by myself or with my co-captain Jasmine Helton, listen to music, and work on homework or study. I never even tried to look for Stevien on the bus. I began to not look at anyone until I was on the field to play. And play I did. Just as Stevien took his aggression out on the field, so did I. I played center field and did so well my senior year, that I was voted to the local all-star softball team by the end of the regular season.

Both of our teams were doing far better than anyone expected. We both were on our way to the state quarterfinals after succeeding at both previous rounds of playoffs. The baseball team managed to win their quarterfinal game, but the softball team took a hard loss. It was a long bus ride home after that game. For once, I was thankful that the baseball team had a different schedule during playoffs so that we didn't have to travel together.

One week after the spring season ended, our senior prom night arrived. I had tried so hard to avoid attending, for numerous reasons, including two of which were named Stevien and Beth-Ann, but Rocky would not let me off the hook. She told me we would go together and hang out until I was ready to leave. Once Jacob found out that Rocky and I were going together by ourselves, he insisted on escorting the two of us. His reasoning behind it was this: "Why go to prom with one beauty when you could go with two? I will be the envy of the school with both of you on my arms."

I was a little mortified at his statement. Rocky, on the other hand, was so smitten with Jacob that I think she only heard him say she was beautiful. And Rocky was just that: beautiful. She had legs for days despite her short stature, flawless and beautifully tanned skin, with long dark brown hair and big brown eyes that lit up any time she smiled. Jacob was opposite her in nearly every way. He was tall, a little bulky, with reddish-brown hair, blues eyes, and pale skin covered in freckles. Somehow, they complimented each other perfectly. However, I made us an awkward combination with my slightly taller than average height for a girl, lean and muscular built frame, mixed with my brown hair, softball tanned skin, and gray eyes.

Despite how awkward I felt, Rocky was determined to make this prom the best time for all three of us. Rocky and I went dress shopping together. We wanted to have matching, yet different dresses. My only wish was for my dress to have pockets, my comfort zone. We found dresses that fit our personalities perfectly and were both emerald and black ombre. Rocky made sure to coordinate everything that went into our outfits, including everything for Jacob's outfit. She had a gift for it and I certainly was not going to argue with her. After all, I wanted to live to see us all graduate.

Soon, the dreaded day arrived. I was not exactly looking forward to it, but it was one day closer to graduation, so I embraced it as best I could.

Word Count: 1254