Chapter 2

School was slightly enjoyable. Shikamaru acted like a mini bodyguard and guide for me as we walked just about everywhere together. Our conversations were still minimal and the dark haired boy still seemed to be his regular grouchy self. A slightly different side of him would sometimes show when he picked on me or made fun of the way I spoke or dressed. He was kinda opening up to me ....right ? It was weird sometimes but at least I wasn't alone.

"Can anyone tell me why she handed Daiki the un-bloomed flower?", Mr.Jiraiya stood at the front of the Literature class, a green chalkboard behind him. We were studying a book called "Sundown". It was a piece about a strong warrior who was mighty in battle, but lacking greatly when it came to people and personal skills. This often held him back greatly. A quietness grew over the room and it became pretty clear that no one wanted to answer the question. Being the bookworm that I am, I read the story as assigned and had answered a handful of Mr.Jiraya's questions already. I honestly felt the need to keep my mouth shut. I had only been at Konoha for a month and was still fairly new. I didn't want to be labeled as the "know it all" of the class.

I tapped the side of my notebook gently as I heard a irritated huff from the desk beside me. Sasuke Uchiha, the school's heartthrob and star athlete sat in his seat with his arms folded. His eyes met mine for a second before looking back to our instructor.

"Moni?", the teacher called out. 

I felt my eyes buck. Did he really have to do ?!

I took a small sigh,"The un-bloomed flower? Well the bud represent Daiki's present self and How closed off he is from everyone. She knows that he will bloom one day, just like the flower and hands it to him."

"OOOOOH", Naruto shouts,"I just thought she had a crush on him!"

Laughter spreads through the room, greatly irritating the gray haired Literature instructor.

"One more outburst like that and I'll have you in detention Naruto!", He looks back to me, "But yes Ms.Moni, you were correct." He goes on to continue lecturing the class about the story.

"You're pretty smart,huh."

I look to the athletic boy beside me, slightly surprised he's even talking to me. We've never really spoken to each other before.

"Um I guess.", I respond before attempting to pay attention in class again. That sounded so unconfident - gosh. I'm aware of my intelligence....I just don't wanna be too intimidating ya know? 

The class continued at long last the bell rung. I began packing up my books before a hand tapped my shoulder

"Would you mind helping me on the "

"No-", Shikamaru interupted us and grabbed my hand as he pulled me out of the class.

"Shikaaaa! What's the big idea?",I try to pull away from him but he tightens his grip on my wrist. He pulls me to my locker.

"Moni, stay away from him."

I scrunch my face in confusion,"What?"

Shikamaru eases closer to me, we're almost chest to chest.

"You heard me, stay away from that guy. Nothing good is gonna come from hang-"

"Shikamaru mind your own business, please."

I push him away from me,  causing him to stumble back a bit.

"Now if you excuse me I'm going to cheer practice."

I make my way down the hall, feeling his eyes follow me. What was his problem?!  Sasuke was just asking me for help. It wasn't like the guy was tryna sleep with me. Opening the door of the gym, I finally arrive to cheer practice. I had made the team a week ago and the big game was this weekend. Ino, the team's captain thought I was a perfect fit and despite her intimidating exterior, she was actually kind of nice. Practice started and we had begun working on our newest cheer.

"KONOHA ! KONOHA ! WE WON'T STOP! KONOHA! KONOHA! RISE TO THE TOP!"

"Okay ladies time for laps!", Ino shouted before running up to me. "Your boyfriend's here."

She gestures to Shikamaru who's sitting on top of the bleachers, waiting to take me home. I'm surprised he's even still here after what happened earlier. 

"Girl, stop playing with me.", I begin speeding up my pace. She soon catches up with me.

"I'm just saying. A lot of people are noticing how you guys are always together."

Rolling my eyes, I begin to notice the basketball team filing in, causing the room to erupt in giggles & sequels at the sight of the school's star athlete. Ino is the first girl to run towards the dark haired boy.

"SASUKE-KUN!!"

"SASUKEEEEE!!!!!"

"OMG THAT'S MY BABY DADDY!!"

A large crowd of girls quickly starting surrounding the handsome high schooler. They had begun running much faster than the little mundane jogs they begun performing once Ino instructed us to do laps.

"What's the big fuss?!" , Naruto wined, bouncing an orange basket ball in his hand,"I'm the one you should be running to!" The blonde was quickly ignored as the focus on Sasuke increased.

"Hey Naruto!", I shouted,"pass me the rock!"

Naruto was a cheerful and sweet soul. Was he loud and annoying sometimes? Of course! But that didn't mean people should just ignore him.
The blonde sent me a smile as he passed me the ball.

"She's not gonna make it.", Kiba teased, stretching in a nearby corner.

"Wanna Bet?"

"I might be interested in a wager."

Naruto shook his head slightly," I don't think you know who you're dealing with, Kiba."

Naruto and I became friends my second week at Konoha. We met in detention. He was sent there for pranking Mr.Jiraya & I had a dress code violation. Apparently, my shirt was "distracting" my male classmates but honestly? I believe my cleavage was distracting Mr.Jiraya from teaching his lesson- but that's neither here nor there. Naruto caught me going off on Mr.Jiraya for giving me the violation in the first place and we've been tight ever since. 

"Well Kiba, if I make this shot you owe me 5 dollars."

"Alright.", he gives me a smirk,"& if you miss?"

"Well Mr.Inuzuka, I'll bake you some cookies."

Jokes on him. I don't bake.

"Very well then. Take your shot, Tanaka"

I stand in front of the goal, holding the ball Naruto threw me in my hands. The squeals wind away as the gym grows quiet. I begin to feel eyes on me and notice Shikamaru standing court side. Girl please don't embarrass yourself. If you do, Shikamaru won't let you hear the end of it!

I bend my knees slightly and release the ball from my fingertips. It lands in the goal and cheers erupt loudly from the gym as I feel Naruto lift my body into the air.

"RUN ME MY MONEY KIBA!!!!!", I shout, causing the brown haired boy to blush in embarrassment. I look over to the side of the court where Shikamaru stands, sending me a small wink. A small flurry of butterflies run through my stomach at the gesture but I quickly push them aside. Order soon returns as Ino announces that cheer practice has now ended so that the boys can have the gym to themselves. I begin walking to the bleachers to grab my bag but a voice calls my name. I turn to meet Sasuke's dark eyes. Ino standing behind him, arms wrapped around his neck as her person presses against his body.

"Good job Tanaka."

"Thank you.", I reach to pick up my bag but he grabs it for me. Pushing the blonde off of him, causing her eyes to buck. "Can you still help me out with that assignment?"

I look to the door and meet Shikamaru's eyes. A sour expression is written across his face. What's his deal....?

"Yeah Sasuke, I gotchu."

I make my way to leave the gym, Shikamaru shaking his head as I meet his side.

"This is definitely gonna be a drag...."