Chapter 7

"Outta all of the girls in the school how did you not manage to get a date?", Naruto asks, brow raised high.

"Right!", Kiba agrees with him,"I would've at least thought that Shikamaru was going with you."

I cut my eyes at both of them,"Look at the caramel apple cart."

The two boys shift their gazes to the cart behind me before shocked expressions cover their once joking faces. Naruto shakes his head at me.

"Moni how-"

I shrug my shoulders and place my head between my arms as we sit at one of the festival's tables.

"Moni.", Sasuke's voice rang in my ears, causing me to jump,"Why is Temari with Shikamaru and not you...aren't you two like...dating?"

A pitiful, slightly hurt laugh erupts from my stomach, attempting to cover up my true feelings,"Nope ahaha- I'm a single lady......all the single ladies....all the single ladies....."

I do a little dance in my seat and the boys surrounding me continue to stare at me in disbelief.

"He doesn't want me....okay?"

__________________

Naruto's POV

"He doesn't want me....okay?"

What?..

"She's making Moni's life a living hell we gotta do something...."

"Moni's our girl....", I agree,"We got her back."

Shikamaru nodded, grabbing his books from his desk and making his way out of the classroom.

"Aye, Shikamaru."

"Yeah?", he asked dryly as he turned around

"She got you acting different buddy!", I laughed as he gave the dark haired Shikamaru a small grin.

"What can I say, she makes me smile."

I shook my head with a grin as he left the classroom.

I was definitely expecting him to call me a drag.

She must be reading the signs wrong....or maybe both of them are in denial.

"Moni", I placed a hand on her head, causing her to look up at me,"Don't give up, okay?"

Kiba nodded,"I agree."

"Go get what you want, Moni." Sasuke stated plainly,shocking us all with his inspirational advice.

"Look at Teme being nice for once."

Moni POV

"Shut it Naruto!", Sasuke huffed,"I just don't like seeing Moni sad."

Aweee....

A warm feeling spreads through my chest because once again, the guys were there for me. I truly couldn't ask for a better group of friends.

But Sasuke was right....gosh he sounded like my mom.

"..........You have to take every opportunity to get the life that you desire. Get what you want before it gets you. Simple............."

I looked to the caramel apple cart, Shikamaru and Temari stood there together, seemingly enjoying each other's company.

I can't let this ride me any longer...like my momma said. I have to get what I want.

I look back at the boys,"Can y'all distract her?"

"Of course!", Naruto responds. In a matter of seconds the guys make her disappear into the crowd, leaving Shikamaru alone.

Now's the time !

"Shika!"

The dark haired boy walks in my direction with a smile.

"Hey Moni."

"I missed you buddy", I playfully punch his arm,"We haven't talked in a minute."

"Yeah I know....I'm sorry Temari-"

"About that", I quickly cut him off,"Shika.."

Curiosity fills his face, "Yes Moni?"

"I need to tell you something...", I take a breath,"I-"

"SHIKAMARU! MONI!"

Shikaku runs towards us through a nearby crowd of people, worry covering his face.

"Dad?"

"Mr.Nara!"

Shikamaru's father appears out of breath, face covered in battle scares from his days in the army,"C-Come quickly-"

Shikamaru and I glance at each other before following him out of the festival premises and into the nearby parking lot. "Dad what's up?", Shikamaru finally asks once we get in his father's car.

"Shikamaru", Mr.Nara peers into the backseat and looks at his son with a concerned expression,"Please hold Moni."

"Hold me?", I'm stricken with confusion as Shikamaru wraps his arms around me, following his fathers words,"Why?"

Mr.Nara looks at the window in front of him and takes a breath before speaking,"Your mother has died."

That's the moment I lost it.