Chapter 4

The following morning Shikamaru's parents found us in their home, immediately figuring that something was wrong.  We told them about the rat, game, and the note we found, making them furious. They marched us up to the administration's office after we ate breakfast but the fools argued that  I had simply been a victim of hazing, since I was new. My suspicions that I was possibly being targeted by a student - we hadn't given them Ino's name yet- was completely wrong. NOTHING WAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE MATTER.

Dejected, I walked out of the office with Shikamaru by my side. School hadn't exactly started yet so we sat together in the school's courtyard. I closed my eyes and leaned on my hand as I felt the sweet wind of Konoha brush past my face.

"JUST KILL IT! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!"

A red haired girl, with her skirt almost above her hoo haa screams at a student wearing a hood and glasses. He's bending down, observing a bug that has landed on the ground. Despite the girls screams, he doesn't respond and continues to look at the bug.

"Can you hear me ya freaken weirdo?! Just kill it!"

Why is she bothering him anyway?

He ignores her once more. She moves closer to him but I get up and stand in between them. Shino was in a few of my classes, I didn't know him well, but I wasn't just gonna stand here while she bullied him like that.

"Can you just chill and leave him alone? PLEASE! If he wants to stare at the bug let him!"

The redhead takes a step back & furrows her brows at me in irritation.

"And honestly, I'd be less concerned about what he does with a bug and more concerned with the fact that I can literally see yo coochie."

Embarrassed, she covers her pelvic area with her hands and scampers out of the courtyard. Shino looks up at me,"Thank you..."

"Of course, no one deserves to be treated like that."

After giving me a grateful nod, he picks up the bug and walks away.

__________

"Please get into your groups so we can complete the experiment.", Professor Orochimaru instructs at the front of the science lab. "Moni, can you please work with Rock Lee and Neji?"

"But those are my partners!", Ino whines from a nearby desk.

"Ino you will work with Shino and Hinata."

"Ughhhhhhh!!"

"Alright now separate into your groups!"

I walk over to Rock Lee & Neji with a smile.

"You look radiant today Moni!"

"You're just being nice, Lee. But thank you."

I was literally wearing a white tank & gray sweatpants. My hair tied in a high puff. I didn't feel soo radiant but I guess he was feeling the bummy chic look.

"Can we start and focus please?", Neji huffs, grabbing a test tube.

"Someone's cranky", I tease.

A slight blush appears across his face before he begins to pour a blue liquid into a red one. It begins to bubble. We finish the experiment with ease, to the suprise of our classmates. I mean what did they expect? Neji and I were the top students in our class. We were the only group to finish, much to the disappointment Professor Orochimaru.

"I'm so glad you were placed in our group!", Rock Lee exclaimed as we left class,"Ino never used to help us out. What brains and beauty you have, Moni!"

"Aww thank you, Lee!", I send him a wink.

_____________

"So what are you doing to it now?", Shikamaru asked, having just observed me putting my hair into sections. We sit together in my room, him on the bed and me on the floor in front my mirror.

"I'm about to put box braids in my hair."

"What braids?"

"Watch."

He crouches down beside me, intently watching every movement of my fingers. I weave the braiding hair into mine slowly, moving closer to the mirror to get a better view of my work. I complete a few more braids before Shikamaru begins to blush. "Moni.."

"Yes?"

"I mean...I really wouldn't care if you opposed.... and this seems like such a drag to do alone-"

"Shika", I cut him off, giving the dark haired boy a knowing smile. "Would you like to help me?"

He averts eye contact with me as he nods, cheeks still red as ever. I had him a piece of weave and he follows exactly what I showed him earlier.

"Someone was playing attention."

The beginner braider doesn't reply, but instead fights the smile slighly forming on his lips.

He can be kinda cute sometimes.....

"I'm thinking about quitting the cheer team."

"What?", Shikamaru drops the piece of hair in his hands as a confused expression covers his face."You can't let Ino run you off, Moni."

"I don't feel welcomed on the team....Like come on! She's the captain! That girl could make things sooo much worse for me.."

"Ok Moni...ok. I don't like it...but if that's what you want..." He takes a sigh. "That's really a drag.... cuz you were such a good cheerleader..."

He thinks I was a good cheerleader.....?

Shikamaru surveys the smile that's made it's way across my face as I gaze up at him braiding my hair. "Moni,what are you smiling at?"

"Nothing! ", I grab a new piece of hair with a new energy and begin weaving it into my hair, my smiling ceasing to fade.

He thinks I was a good cheerleader!