Wisteria guardian P.1/2 (Fujitora)

((Issho/Fujitora x Reader, romantically. Part 1 out of 2.))

-----
-----

A month had passed since Doflamingo's fall on Dressrosa and Fujitora's crew was still not allowed to step into any marine bases, let alone return to Marineford. Least not without those pirates' heads.

You knew if that condition would stay, so would your absence at headquarters. There was no way your superior would behead StrawHat Luffy. Not after their clash shortly before you left the island.

While this meant that you had so much more paperwork to take care of because you had to transfer captured criminals to other ships and crews and send them off to the marine bases they were to be judged at, it also meant that your captain put his believes and morals above his duty.

Frankly, it was admirable.

You had never seen someone so honest and true to themselves before. He even apologized for everything, took the blame and the shame for things he didn't do, talked back to Akainu without hesitation and now dealt with the punishment uncomplainingly.
Such mental strength was rare and you really looked up to your admiral for that.

Being his personal assistant -slash- secretary and the strategist of the crew, you were by his side pretty much 24/7. He couldn't do his own paperwork for obvious reasons so it was your job to take care of that and to help him plan battles or simple management issues regarding supplies.

But you also served as his eyes sometimes.
Usually, he was able to get by just fine with his walking cane -which simultaneously was also his sword- and his keen sense of hearing but in unfamiliar areas with uneven grounds, confusing layouts, low ceilings or loud noises, it was always better to have you guide him.

Something you noticed rather quickly after starting to work for him a few months ago was that his ears were much better than anybody else's. They probably got way sharper when he lost his sight to make up for the lack of it but even then; the precision of his hearing still surprised you.
After all, he was able to predict on which field the ball would end up in during roulette just by listening to how hard the ball was thrown and how fast the device spun. At least, that's what you assumed was happening. He couldn't possibly be that lucky after all.

How he knew which field was which? You didn't know that.
You had tried asking him a few times after he won yet another round at a local casino but all he said in response was that it was but a mere hunch or that lady luck was on his side. Clearly, he wasn't one to boast with his talents.
Another thing you liked about him.
He was humble despite his powerful position.

Though if there was something you had to criticise about your admiral then it would probably be his gambling habit. He even went so far as to leave literal lives up to a game, shown back on Dressrosa when he agreed to pursue StrawHat Luffy only if the thrown dice would show anything but the red one.
That was the one thing you couldn't understand.

You were marines. It was natural to fight pirates... right?

Ever since you could remember, your superiors always told you to waste no mercy on those criminals. They were breaking the law and thus hurting the society so you had to be dutiful and bring them in.
Failure was not an option.

Although Fujitora's way of thinking appeared to be much less drastic. It felt more.. humane.
That sometimes confused you, probably because you were used to seeing everything in black and white. The thought of the grey zone only made everything so complicated. Some pirates were good and some marines were bad. How were you supposed to tell which was which? What if they lied to deceive you?