THE EXCORS 018--A series of trust

Just breathe. Just breathe. Just breathe.

Izuku could hardly hear Katsuki whisper-shouting over the sound of his own heartbeat, flooding his ears like the climax to a good book, adrenaline-filled; heart-squeezing; and blood-rushing. There was another word this, one Izuku had come to grown accustomed to these past few days: fear. Pure and unadulterated fear.

It was funny―comically funny, in fact―how just minutes ago he was admiring the sky, the contrast of the colors, thinking odd thoughts about Katsuki, etc. And now he was here, back to square one, running through the woods with fear governing every action, every thought, every breath.

Funny, right?

If the young boy hadn't been so scared, scared of the unknown possibilities―an enemy they couldn't see―he would have been concerned. For Katsuki, even with all his scabbing wounds, hoisted the boy onto his back and scaled the nearest tree.

He could distinctly see the visible strain it put on the blond to have the added weight on his body, and the tiniest parts of Izuku felt bad. But then he remembered why they were here, and that part of him was promptly quenched into nothingness.

As soon as they reached the highest―and sturdiest―tree branch Katsuki pulled Izuku behind him, his fingers practically searing into the skin of Izuku's arm.

Much akin to himself, Katsuki was heedful and circumspect, head darting back and forth across the horizon. Though Izuku wondered how he'd be able to see anything from such a height. Not that Izuku would ever dare look down―his blatant fear of heights proving too difficult. 

The blond stayed in a crouch, easily balanced on the tree with one hand lightly pressed to the base of the bark. He didn't move, didn't blink, hell, Izuku was slightly concerned if the boy was breathing.

And as the second poured into minutes swirling into an hour, Katsuki began to lower himself onto the branch as well, leg straddling each side with his back still to Izuku. His shoulders were still locked and tensed, but he seemed to relax as time went on.

Still, it did little to nothing for Izuku's hammered heart and painfully hyper-active mind. 

Katsuki snuck a glance at the boy, quick but perceptive.

"I'm sure it's fine," he settled, offering the best smile he could at the moment. "We're probably freaking out for no reason, you can relax."

His words lulled Izuku in, sounding rather convincing, though the gesture did not meet his vermillion eyes. Still watchful and prepared.

"Whoever said I was freaking out?" Izuku dismissed with an unsettling haughty expression. "You're the one who dragged me halfway through the damn forest because a bunny had some blood on it."

Just breathe. Just breathe. Just breathe.

Again, Izuku did not receive the response he had braced himself for. He heard Katsuki sigh, instead, loud and exaggerated. Before the freckled male had a chance to blink, the blond rolled over onto his side, dangling from the branch with one hand still gripping the ledge before hoisting himself back up in one fluid motion. This time landing down so he was facing Izuku.

And there was that look again.

It was really beginning to annoy the hell out of Izuku. It was as if Katsuki was picking through him, detaching every single aspect of himself, and picking through the pieces with great care. Like he knew everything and anything Izuku had ever thought or felt.

Fucking jackass.

"What the fuck are you staring at?" Izuku snapped, patience wearing thin and anxiety heightening.