Chapter 2

(Part 1 of a crossover with Breezy15772)

The field is still empty.

Th dragon and rider still have not shown up for their routine. The crowd is murmuring softly with questions and complaints. Ridgeview kids where even standing up to return to their dorms. 

Thalia rocks her feet back and forth patiently waiting. She didn't really feel like leaving, she always sat through everyone's run.

By now it's really dark out. Clouds blot out the stars and moon, leaving every place not within the stadium in complete darkness. Thalia looks out to the void beyond the bleachers and holds back a shudder.

Anything could be going on in those shadows and they'd have no idea.

The crowd's uneasy grows as a game official walks out to the center field. He stands directly in the center of the black ironwing that has been stained on to the lush grass. Thalia can see a mic in his hand.

Avis finally looks up from her phone to see why everyone's gone quiet

"What's happening?" She whispers.

Thalia can only shrug in response.

"We're sorry for the delay students, our next competitor has forfeited the round will not be performing," the ref said in to the mic.

A ripple of concern went through the crowd. Avis straightened a bit and whipped her head to face her friend. Thalia's eyes were wide too. No one ever just dropped a routine like that, while these were competitions it was exciting for everyone to show off their skills. But that probably wasn't why everyone was concerned.

Thalia bit her lip again, thinking. No way someone still showed up without their dragon.

Tuuka, sensing his rider's unease, pressed his nose in her direction over the side of the bleachers. She reached out with a painted hand and pat him gently. The stormcutter whined softly, as if asking if she were ok.

Thalia glanced to Avis. The blonde girl's gentle features were slightly twisted, forming an expression that not even Thalia could describe. She didn't seem angry, but the clenched jaw and pointed gaze definitely made it seem that way.

Thalia places her hand on her shoulder, "is everything alright?"

Avis flinched slightly before responding, "no. something's up."

"Yeah no shit," Thalia laughed slightly. Avis doesn't laugh.

But Avis was also right. Thalia's head swirled with possibilities, with questions, with concerns. In the dark of the night she could vaguely make out adults talking in a group just a few feet from the field. She slowly took her hand off of Avis' shoulder and sighed.

"I'm gonna head back to my dorm," Avis declared.

Thalia blinked, "alright. see you tomorrow then." 

With that, the tall blonde descended down the metal stairs and turned the corner to mount her dragon. The sweet green scaled monitor squawked and took off, flying in the direction of Avis' dorm hall.

The energy that Thalia lived for at games had died entirely. The crowd seemed dejected and even annoyed as many stood to leave. She was becoming more and more alone in the sea of purple and gold.

Thalia was about to stand and leave when suddenly a piercing noise cut through the air from the speakers. She flinched and looked back to the center of the field once more.

Standing there was Headmaster Hofferson. He wore a simple suit with a dark green tie, as usual. He cleared his throat and held the black mic up to his mouth to speak.