Chapter 18

Soldiers of Earth's Forage grabbed their weapons and charged at the intruders. Avis and Fern took off the opposite direction, going to block the arena from entry as the Ridgeview Academy guard forced their way in.

Nuri and Tatsu were at the front, swiping and eating any guards that dared to get close enough. Tatsu fired his breath attacks as frequently as he could while Nuri used her tail to stab and strangle her enemies. Behind them were about ten of Ridgeview's finest, plus Hastings. Outside more hovered, waiting for the expected wave of newly freed dragons and fleeing enemies.

Ridgeview warriors leapt off and jumped into battle, going head to head with Earth's Forage. Metal clashed against metal, metal sank in to soft flesh. Blood pooled on the stone ground below as it flowed from wounds like water.

Hastings ripped through guild members two at a time, determined to break through the crowd and save his students. He cared not for the men who dropped around him, because none of them were his. They had chosen to follow a dark path of life, they had to feel the consequences.

"Keep pushing! We aren't leaving without freeing the prisoners!" Hastings shouted. The fighters pressed on as their captain had ordered.

Nuri managed to clear a path to the door and sprinted for it, scratching against the door until Hastings caught up to open it. As she saw the green fire she cowered and covered herself with a wing. Behind her Hasting's black and brown dragon Oberon snarled.

"Don't be babies. Lets go," He grabbed both dragons by the wing and tugged, forcing them along. The hallway seemed to go forever, maybe even longer as he had to pull the dragons with him.

They made it to the door. When it opened Fern and Avis lunged for Hastings, ready to kill. Fern was yanked off by Oberon but Avis held a knife to Hasting's neck. He stared into the girls eyes, ones he believed belong to a student. Now they held nothing but hate.

Hastings jammed his sword in to her thigh and before she could cut him up for it Nuri wrapped her tail around Avis and flung her in to the wall.

"I got her! Go get Devon and Thalia!" Noah's voice sounded as Tatsu barreled down the hall. Hastings nodded, taking off in to the arena to save his students. Oberon joined him, passing Fern off to Tatsu to handle her.

He could see Tuuka by a body in the sand, looking confused as ever. He searched for a way to get down there and free him when he heard Devon's voice.

"Hastings! Down here!" He looked down to see the cell both kids were in, "There's a trapdoor right above us," Devon yelled. Hastings nodded and rushed over. He found the black trapdoor, which was sealed with an iron lock. He stepped aside allowing Oberon to melt it away. The metal dripped down below pooling at the bottom. 

"Grab his tail and we'll pull you up," Hastings ordered. Oberon dipped his long black tail into the hatch, feeling four hands grip his scales. He stood up and began to walk, pulling his tail up with him. 

Devon and Thalia emerged from the cell wearing clothes that Hastings knew they didn't own. He decided not to ask questions and ordered Oberon to burn through the chain links. Tuuka watched with fearful eyes, confused as to what was even going on.

"Go get your dragon. I'm gonna go look for where they keep the rest," Hastings said.

"I'll come with," Devon volunteered and didn't wait for another order as he sprinted off to a darker area of the room. Sure enough a door was hidden there, painted grey to blend in. Nuri stood behind him. She offered a tail spike to pick the lock with and it worked, allowing Devon to fling the doors open and run in with Hastings to free the dragons.