The Rich Commoner

Disclaimer!

This is not me calling out any fellow writers, I have read some amazing fanfiction over the years that have included the things I'll mention in this series. For me however, I notice there are some things that a lot of new writers don't pick up on. I have been writing fanfiction since my early tweens and in those 8 years I have made so many of these mistakes, and wrote the most corniest fanfiction out there so believe me when I say there is no judgement :)

~Shiloh

So you want to write Ouran fanfiction, huh? Well let me tell you the most common trope I see in Ouran High School Host Club fanfiction that I believe should be avoided

So you want to write Ouran fanfiction, huh? Well let me tell you the most common trope I see in Ouran High School Host Club fanfiction that I believe should be avoided. It's what I like to call "the Rich Commoner."

The best way to describe the rich commoner is an OC that is both rich with commoner knowledge. I believe many writers use this as a way to combine their OC's lives with both Haruhi's commoner world, and the host's wealth. I think this is also used to make OC's more likeable. The host's do come across as dim-witted when it comes to their lack of common sense, but that is also what makes them likable in their own ways as well.

It usually goes like this: OC starts off poor, but acquires wealth and then goes to Ouran. OR OC is rich but constantly indulges in commoner things and therefore has knowledge of them. 

In my opinion, these just don't work well, and it makes it hard to stay immersed in the story. It is really hard to give your character's flaws, but they are needed to give your character's depth. I have written two OC's and both are wealthy. 

In Kei's case, it would not have made sense for his character to have knowledge of commoner's things as he was raised as basically royalty. 

In Akira's case, he is fascinated by commoner's knowledge like the "instant coffee" because he sees value in saving money. 

Both are ignorant to most commoner things, at least in the beginning, as I believe Haruhi's ways rub off on the host's as the series goes on and they learn from her, just as she learns from them.

If you are going to have you OC act as both rich and a commoner they should act as bridge for both of those worlds. They should not just always just agree with Haruhi, but also explain to her the ways of the wealthy as they explain to the host's the ways of the rest of the world.

Mostly I think this trope is used because we want to give our character's everything. Make them rich, but without the obnoxiousness that comes with it, but this must be written out carefully to blend into the plot. If you want your character to be commoner smart do not be afraid to make them poor either.

All in all I think "the Rich Commoner" can be written well, but it is tricky. I tend to avoid it.

~ Author's Notes ~

If you guys have any questions or suggestions feel free to make them in the comments! I will continue to add to this series as long as people still wish for advice :)

~Shiloh