"I'm an Undercover Male Student Too!"

Disclaimer: 

This is not me calling out any fellow writers, I have read some amazing fanfiction over the years that have included the things I'll mention. For me however, I notice there are some things that a lot of new writers don't pick up on. I have been writing fanfiction since my early tweens and in those 8 years I have made so many of these mistakes, and wrote the most corniest fanfiction out there so believe me when I say there is no judgement :)

 I have been writing fanfiction since my early tweens and in those 8 years I have made so many of these mistakes, and wrote the most corniest fanfiction out there so believe me when I say there is no judgement :)

So I have to be honest this is a trope that irks me probably the most out of any that I'll list in the series. It isn't one I see much anymore, but it used to be very common like five years ago.

The female OC that is undercover as a male as well as Haruhi. This by itself doesn't bother me, even though it does yet again start teetering on making your OC too special, but a female OC posing as male does not bother me.

The problem comes when writers start writing those OC's as basically opposite to Haruhi. One thing that is important to remember is there is a reason Haruhi is able to pose as male and that is because not only is she beautiful, but she is also clearly androgynous. She has short hair and is flat chested.

With female OC's posing as male I sometimes encounter writers who write them to have long hair, concealed under a wig, and big breasts that are confined away. To be honest this just doesn't make sense, and I think it's mostly writers who don't want their female characters to have short hair or a boyish figure, but want them to be hosts. And I see a lot of times the reason for these OC's disguising themselves is not clearly written out, or just kind of given "they just feel like it" reasoning. 

My best advice for this is that it's not always conducive to have the best of both worlds. If you wish to have your OC be a host, if they are female do not be afraid to chop off their locks and give them small breast. Remember, Haruhi is a beautiful girl including all these things. 

If you are attached to your character having long hair and a girlish figure you can try the female host route as well.

And of course there is always the Male!OC option.

~ Author's Notes ~

If you guys have any questions or suggestions feel free to make them in the comments! I will continue to add to this series as long as people still wish for advice :)

~Shiloh