The Uniform

Disclaimer:

This is not me calling out any fellow writers, I have read some amazing fanfiction over the years that have included the things I'll mention. For me however, I notice there are some things that a lot of new writers don't pick up on. I have been writing fanfiction since my early tweens and in those 8 years I have made so many of these mistakes, and wrote the most corniest fanfiction out there so believe me when I say there is no judgement :)

 I have been writing fanfiction since my early tweens and in those 8 years I have made so many of these mistakes, and wrote the most corniest fanfiction out there so believe me when I say there is no judgement :)

Let's talk about the Ouran Academy uniform.......yeah it sucks, both the boys and girls, those yellow monstrosities, and a black and purple tie with a blue blazer? But I have to be honest, it really grinds my gears when writers make their OC's opt out of the uniform.

If your OC is a commoner, like Haruhi on the first day, they should still wear casual business attire if they don't wear the Ouran uniform. Yeah her clothes were drab and too big, but they still worked.

I think this is more of a common American cultural blunder, but it is important to remember in Japan school uniforms are common, so even if your OC doesn't have the uniform they would still not wear their "everyday" clothes. They would wear something that would be appropriate, similar to a regular Japanese school uniform.

If your OC is rich, they should definitely wear the school uniform. There isn't really a good reason for them not too.

My best advice, if you hate the uniform focus your chapters on outings like when Haruhi and the hosts travel together. There are many episodes that they do not wear the uniforms.

I also want to say that the majority of my favorite Ouran fanfictions the OC's do not wear the uniform, and I don't look down on those authors for it, but there's a way to write it that makes sense.

One of my favorite Ouran fanfic's is called Big Sister Fujioka by hostclubmanager17, the OC is Haruhi's older sister and it makes total sense why she doesn't wear the uniform. She isn't a host, and like Haruhi she is a commoner. Before Haruhi became a host she did not have a uniform because she could not afford it.

~ Author's Notes ~

If you guys have any questions or suggestions feel free to make them in the comments! I will continue to add to this series as long as people still wish for advice :)

~Shiloh