CHAPTER FOUR

────── ☕ ::  𝐶𝑂𝐹𝐹𝐸𝐸 𝑇𝐴𝐿𝐾 » 004

a stranger is always watching

elmo’s honey-colored eyes scanned the outside from his spot next to the glass window, he saw people walk with umbrellas on their hands, kids in frog raincoats step on puddles and couples kiss under the rain– how cheesy. his eyes shifted from the outside to his drink in hand, light steam coming out of it. inside the coffee shop the air felt warm and cozy as the distant chatter of people filled it. elmo couldn’t help but smile to himself as he slowly took out his most precious possession, his camera.

handed down from his grandfather who was a photographer and, in the last moments of his life told him “keep it. that way a little piece of me would always be with you”

elmo smiled at the memory, caressing the lens of the camera in circles. he positioned himself trying to find just the right angle, the right moment to capture, and he did.

after a few clicks, the photos of a certain teen reading were saved on his camera roll.

he didn’t why but something about y/n captivated him–  maybe it was the way their delicate fingers would trace the pages of their book, or the way they would smile faintly after drinking a hot cup of coffee, or perhaps the glint their eyes held after finishing a good chapter. 

the redhead sighed, a warm smile creasing his features as he flicked through the various pictures he had taken of the teen during such short amount of time.

he knew that what he was doing was wrong- to society that is. his and society’s morals and perceptions of ‘right and wrong’ were way different after all. to him, elmo was just capturing another form of beauty, y/n.

after a few minutes elmo snapped out of his thoughts. he took a sip of his coffee- which at this point was already cold- and took his textbooks out, opening them and going back to studying.

‹☕›

"𝐡𝐞𝐲, 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫?"

"𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐡"

y/n smiled and continued reading, their eyes focused on the book in hand as they pictured the conversation going on between the characters.

"𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲?"

"𝐮𝐦𝐦 𝐢 𝐝𝐨𝐧’𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰, 𝐚 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭? 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰, 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐭𝐨𝐬𝐲𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐬 𝐝𝐨 𝐢𝐭’𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠"

"𝐢- 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬… 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐭! 𝐢 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 ‘𝐛𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐚 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫’ 𝐧𝐨𝐭… 𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐦 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲?!"

"𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬"

"𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐬𝐬! 𝐬𝐡𝐮𝐭 𝐮𝐩 𝐨𝐫 𝐢’𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐮𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐚𝐬𝐬"

"𝐦𝐲 𝐦𝐲 𝐧𝐨 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐨 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐲~"

they settled the book down, grabbing their still steamy cup of coffee and taking another sip of it. y/n continued to flip through the pages as they sank deeper into their perfect fantasy world.

a world they had built on their mind, one in which neither their problems or demons could hunt then down. one in which they didn’t have to worry about their alcoholic father or stressed-to-the-brim mother.

a world just perfect for them and them alone.

a world disconnected from the rest.

and obviously, one in which they weren’t being stalked.

  – by a stranger that is.