Forty-eight

[A/N]: this drawing, my heart-

A few hours later

Your ability stops and you pull back your hand. Law is louring, ever since you started.

You showed him some of Doffy's light.

This is the only way to calm him down. It worked with Rosinante too.

Words can't tell such things.

But I have the power to tell the truth, so he can understand it.

-Did you really have to? -pouts Doflamingo in the corner. -That's my fucking private sphere you know.

-It's just from my memories, not yours. -you sigh. -I want the two of you to get along.

-I got along. -he snuffs.

-You shoved bread in his mouth, Doffy!

-So? People often do that. Didn't you hear about it, darling? It's called eating.

-BUT NOT FOR HIM!

-Lammy, stop. -says Law suddenly and you step back. He turns to Doflamingo.

-If you... were like this before Dressrosa. How could you attack Cora-san? How could you make countless souls suffer all over the world?

Doffy doesn't answer, he is still smiling calmly. But you sense the change of his emotions right way.

He won't talk about this.

-Rosi, can you two leave for a little time? -you ask.

The brothers' eyes meet for a second but then they nod and go out. Doffy strokes your shoulder gently before leaving.

-I asked him a question. -says Law.

You wait until they close the door.

-He can't answer it. This is why I asked them to leave us alone for some time. -you sigh. -Law. I want to talk with you about him.

Your brother takes off his hat and leans to the wall. You wait for a little but he just nods, so you start.

-Doflamingo is... a very complicated man, Law. He always was. He did so many terrible things but he won't do it again. Nobody thought about him being a human, ever. He always hid most of his feelings because... he lost everyone at a young age too.

-That isn't an excuse.

-I don't want to make excuses. -you answer. -I just want you to listen to me. I want you to understand why can I love him.

Law slowly nods again.

-Doffy and Rosinante lost their parents, their home. And that bringing-up they got at Marie Jois was terrible. They grew up thinking that they are above others! And I... felt something the day I met him. I think Doffy was born with naturally less empathy. He couldn't really relate to others' pain generally, only when they were very close to him. He couldn't control his anger neither. In the place of the empathy and sadness, he got more and more fury.

You stop for a moment as your memories from the palace awake. Pica's hold on your body, Diamante's sword in your chest.

-And then those bastards found him. After they realised the potential of power he has, they continued raising him like that. Yet Doffy still cared about the ones close to him. He let Rosinante join him after more than ten years apart, and gave him the Heart Seat. But even Rosi betrayed him, stabbed him in the back. Which I completely understand too, since he just wanted to save Dressrosa. But it broke something in Doffy.