Ch-2 Performing Hearts

"YOU!"

She was beyond shocked. He was the same man who had saved her from being raped. Both of them were astonished to meet each other at a Kotha.

Chandni was unable to believe that the man who saved her, was also a man who spends his nights at a Kotha. And that man was unable to believe that the girl whom he saved, was a prostitute.

"You are a prostitute?"

"No, I am the daughter of a prostitute."

"It means the same." He said, irritated.

"I said I am the daughter of a prostitute, not a prostitute."
Her voice was stern.

"Then what are you doing here, in this room, in front of myself, as a girl who is supposed to spend a night with me on my bed?"

She wanted to answer but she didn't know the answer herself.

What was she doing there if she did not want this?

Tears of helplessness filled her charcoal black eyes.

He was staring at her confused face.
"Are you forced to do it?"

She looked into his eyes. His hazel-green eyes held a concern towards her.

"It should not matter to you." She stated with an emotionless expression.

"It matters because I never forced a woman."

With that, he left the room.

What type of man he was?
An insane with a sane character.

She spend that night in the same room, clouded by the thoughts of him and his confusing personality.

☆☆☆

The next morning, Chandni was doing the practice of Kathak in her room. Hearing a knock on the door, she went to open it and found her mother standing there.

Many fearful thoughts came into her mind. Will she force her to spend a night with another man?
Or did she get to know that nothing happened last night?

Umrao smiled,"Chandni, what magic have you done to Angraj last night? He had paid a huge amount. I knew you will make me proud. And get ready for tonight as well."

Chandni felt disgusted at the thought that the woman standing in front of her was her mother.

"Maa, I have a dance competition tonight. Please let me go for it."

Umrao frowned but nodded unwillingly. After all, she was her mother. She was not all bad. No mother is bad.

Chandni huffed as she left and continued her practice.

☆☆☆

Chandni was wearing a simple white lehenga, which properly covered her. Her black hair was braided, with white flowers adorning it. A small golden nose ring was adding to her beauty. Ghungroo tied around her feet was making sounds, as she was pacing backstage.

"Chandni, it's your turn next."
A crew member informed and she began praying to her lord.

"Hey Shivji, please make me win this competition. Maa will not give me money to study further. I need money to continue my studies."

The ongoing performance ended and finally, it was her turn.

She confidently went to the stage. Whenever she danced, she used to forget that there is an audience watching her. She danced for herself.

Her hands touched the ground, as a gesture to take blessings of the God of dance. The classical music echoed in the auditorium and she instantly began dancing according to the rhythm.

Dance is not all about moving hands in the air or jumping up and down. Dance is an art to express our feelings through our body's rhythmic movements.

Her dance expressed her sorrow, her helplessness, her hope. She always succeeded in making others feel what she felt. That was the reason for her most victories.

Her performance ended and the auditorium boomed with applause.

She left the stage with a smile of satisfaction.

After an hour or so all the performances were done and then it was the turn of announcing the winner. It was pretty clear who deserved the triumph.

"... Chandni." announced the host.

Her heart filled with joy and her eyes filled with tears. She went onto the stage as everyone began applauding for her.

"And I request our chief guest to do the honors of giving trophy and prize money to the winner."

The chief guest came to the stage. He was not any white-haired old man, but a handsome young man with killer looks.

"Mr. Angraj Shekhawat."

Chandni's eyes widened at his sight. He was the same guy, whose thoughts did not let her sleep last night.

"Congratulations, Miss Chandni." His deep voice had a warmth.

"Thanks, sir." She dared to speak without stammering.

He handed her trophy and prize money cheque respectfully. While Chandni was looking at him dumbfounded.

"Stop staring or your eyeballs will fall out." He whispered so only she could hear him.

She frowned but averted her gaze.

"Is rioting a social work that you are here as a chief guest?" She mocked him, remembering that those riots had a fear of him, which meant they worked under him.

"It should not matter to you." He mimicked her words from last night.

"It matters because I don't like to be awarded by a criminal." She said rudely.

"Government is formed by criminals nowadays. So get used to it, madam."

"I can care less."

"So do I."

With that their little talk ended and they parted their ways. Angraj went back to his respective seat and Chandni rushed back to backstage.

After some more minutes, it was the time of Angraj's departure. Unknowingly he looked for her glimpse and found her hiding behind a pillar. Their eyes met, and so did their hearts. Both of them were unknown of what just happened and looked away from each other. However, the damage was done.