4 | The Sicilian Defence

I stare at the man, who's plagued my nightmares and brung them to life, sit across the black glass desk and keep my temper on a tight leash

His face full of distaste as he does a once over from head to toe on my current state.

For once, I don't particularly care about my appearance as I stand before my father caked in blood and brain matter and god-knows what else. I always clean up before seeing him, but not tonight as the moment I stepped out of Forbidden, I'd been alerted that my presence was needed. It would take me hours to get the stain of blood and the rest from skin and hair.

He should appreciate that I'm here, sticky in my targets gore, and not slicing his neck from ear to ear after the words that just came from his mouth.

"What?" I calmly ask, despite the roar of my blood rushing to my ears.

I can't help but think this is yet another wicked game of his. But as I watch Anthony bring his hand to his tie, dragging it down the silk material, I know it's not. I've been in a game of Russian Roulette with him since I was eight. I know when he smooths a hand down his tie is his only tell that he is not playing games.

I wish he hadn't done that.

"Don't make me repeat myself, Arabella." Anthony sighs when he notices that I really do need him to repeat himself because I am certain I misheard him and I never mishear, but there is always a first and I am praying to whatever God will hear me that this is just that. "Four weeks from now, you will marry the Don."

Merikh stands in his place by the door, arms crossed, but I can feel him stiffen. Like he too needed to hear my father repeat the words that tie me to my rival for the rest of my life.

I twirl the point of one of my twin knives on my thigh, checking my irritation. I won't give Anthony the satisfaction.

"I want things moving quickly," he continues. "This gives you enough time to move in with the Don by the end of next week." I visibly tense by the bombshell revelation of having to move in before the wedding. This can't possibly be happening. "However, public announcements will go out over the course of the next couple of days. Your mother has kindly offered to plan your engagement party. We need to keep up our appearances, after all."

Distaste curls through me. Of course my father will want the world to know of this abomination as soon as possible. Having his heir join the Cosa Nostra through marriage will only extend his reputation fivefold, people will envy and admire our families for joining in such a holy matrimony. Especially as both mafias have the most dangerous leaders allying.

It will create chaos.

And put a bigger target on my back.

"Many will believe this marriage to be a sham," I dig the knife harder into my skin, feeling blood bubble and run down my leg. "People of the underworld know of my and the Dons vicious cycle. Imagine what they would think if they were to find out he put a ring on my finger and married me in the same damned month. No one will believe this." Not a damn soul. I'll make sure of it.