Chapter 8: No Help Now

My (e/c) eyes stared up at the ceiling of my prison room. It was probably close to noon, but I couldn't be sure. I had scoped the room out twice since waking up and found nothing of use that could aid me in escaping. The demon had been quiet today, staying hidden in his smoke cover.

I turned my head to look at one of the bookshelves. I already rummaged through it in hopes of finding something, anything that could be useful. Nada.

The sound of the tray slot to my door opening caught my attention and I peered in that direction just as a tray was forcefully shoved under, jostling some of the food around and a few over-ripe strawberries fell off. Only when I heard the sound of retreating footsteps did I decide to go over and collect the tray. More stale bread, some grey mushy stuff that might have been oatmeal at one point, and some fruit, most of which appeared to be over-ripe.

"May I interest you in another trade?"

I jolted, almost spilling the tray's contents on the floor. The smoke cover had vanished while my back was turned and the demon was now lounging across the circle lazily, his gaze fixed on me.

"Jesus frickin' H!" I quietly hissed. "I need food too you know."

"Fair enough. Half of your food for half the warmth I provided last night?" The demon offered.

"Hmmm, almost tempting." I replied.

I felt my eyebrows draw closer together as something else came to mind. "Got any small sharp objects on you? Like a pin or something?"

"Quid?" The demon arched an eyebrow at me.

"These chains are significantly draining my magic. I need them off if I am to have any chance of escaping. The longer I stay here, the less likely it is for my team to come rescue me."

Especially with how our attempt at shutting down this operation went. They were probably still recuperating and would need a few more days of gathering resources and other guildmates before attempting a rescue and shutdown mission. I probably didn't have a few days.

A thoughtful look overtook the demons features as he considered me. "If I possessed something that could remove your chains, you would still be very weak. Humans are already weak, even with magic. If you try to escape without magic, you will die."

"It's a risk I need to take. I overheard a discussion of an upcoming auction from some of the rogues yesterday when they took me out for a bath. They will likely be taking me to the black market tonight or tomorrow morning. I need to at least try." I said

"Hmn." The demon simply hummed, saying nothing else.

"Fine. If you have something that I can use, I'll give you all my food." I said.

"They will sell you as a slave, ita?"

"Deal or no deal?"

An unreadable expression settled on his face, but I could guess that he was considering me. Silence settled between us, and it was only just now that I realized I had moved closer to the edge of the circle. I scooted back some and the demon's eyes sharpened as he shifted to a sitting position. He stretched out a tan tattooed arm out towards the edge of the circle. A small glow of red magic swirled around his palm and wound tight around each of his individual fingers, forming points at the tips. The red magic dissipated and long, 3 inch, black talons stretched out from where fingernails should have been.

"There isn't much these can't cut through." The demon flashed me a toothy smirk, displaying his sharp canines.

"No." I responded immediately, my eyes going wide. "No, no, no, no, absolutely not! I'm not crossing the circle."