Chapter 4: Red Eyes

The forest floor was blur beneath my boots as I ran.

I ran as quickly as I possibly could, going off the extra boost from my last stamina potion. I casted a few spells such as "Crescere Silvam" and dropped some alchemy bombs that caused temporary magma spots or released a gas that confused anyone who inhaled it.

Still, despite all this, the rogues, the red hoods, and the demons were hot on my tail!

I leapt over fallen tree limbs.

I ducked under large fallen trees, the dead leaves of the forest floor making it easy for me to slide.

I maneuvered around the tall trees, thick bushes, and large boulders, doing my best to avoid the attacks my pursuers sent off.

I was doing a decent job. It looked like I might actually get out of this. I would out-run them, make my way back to the rest of my team, and be back at the guild making new plans before heading home o my cozy apartment to curl up on the couch with some hot cocoa.

I was almost convinced that was how this event would turn out.

Until an arrow struck the side of my upper right arm.

I cried out and fell, tumbling forward a few feet.

"Gahh-uhhh!" I grunted as I quickly broke it half and pulled it out. I threw it down and began to run again.

I was ok for a few minutes.

But then fog started to creep in at the corner of my eyes. It was slow at first, but then I noticed if I blinked the fog would spread and my vision would cloud. I felt my legs wobble, and it felt as though the leather plates covering my chest and thighs weighed a ton.

I could hardly see the trees.

I could scarcely hear the crunch of the dead leaves and dried twigs under my feet.

I'm not sure, but I think my legs gave out.

I'm not positive, but I think I can smell the earth. I can almost taste it in fact.

There are voices around me, but I can't make out what they're saying. It's like I'm hearing a conversation taking place above ground while I'm under a few feet of water.

The cloudy fog covering my eyes began to turn black...

*

*

*

*

I felt myself swaying back and forth, as though I were in a hammock.

It was almost relaxing.

I felt numb all over.

I could scarcely see and at that moment I didn't fully care.

I was tired. I wanted to nap and continue being swayed in this gentle hammock

*

*

*

*

*

Warmth.

Warmth from where?

Why is it warm here?

Wasn't it cold?

I can hear voices around me, but they're faded... almost lost.

Suddenly the warmth became too hot.

No, not just too hot.

It was searing! Gray fuzzy fog was replaced by white lightning as I screamed in agony.

I could feel the flesh of the skin between my shoulder blades melt. I could hear it sizzle like a hamburger that was placed on the hot grill. I could smell, the disgusting, burning, charred smell that was my flesh melting against a hot iron.

*

*

*

I don't know where I am...

The floor is cold.

I think I smell mildew.

But my body still feels hot, despite the coldness around me.

My vision is less cloudy, but not perfect...

I could be mistaken... is a pair of red eyes fixed on me?