Chapter 2: Only Recon.

It took about a week of researching until the group was ready to make a move. The team Law put together consisted of myself, Zoro, Usop, Robin, and, much to Laws dismay, Kid and his cousin Killer managed to weasel their way in.

Since a good portion of the guild members are former rogue mages, some still had connections. Kid, Killer, and Law contacted their rogue sources while Robin and Usop read up on the information they could find on Magi-connects web-base.

After a little bit of flirting, I managed to convince one of the guild officers, Shanks, to share his opinions and knowledge. He was born into a family who operated a dark guild.

Our research led us to believe the suspicion that Black Souls had indeed initiated an illegal poaching business, capturing and/or killing magical creatures as a means to make a profit on the black market. One of Kid's sources claimed a small portion of Black Souls branched off from the main guild and set up a new base set up in the woods that is running the entire operation.

"He claims Black Souls is attempting to spread their roots and gain more influence." Kid had said.

Ending a dark guilds black market sales were usually one of the less dangerous jobs. Profit oriented rogues wouldn't want to potentially damage their merchandise. Especially if the merchandise is rare or unique.

Still, we must take every precaution we can. The consensus among us is that a surprise attack that blocks off entry and exit points would be the most efficient way to carry out the job. In order for us to get a better understanding of the layout for the new base, we need to do a little recon.

It took a little... "convincing" until Law's informant divulged a map with an approximate location of the base. Once that information was in hand, we set about our individual preparations. Yes, this was only recon. But you can never be too safe.

I adjusted the straps on my leather plated vest before pulling on my jeans that had leather plates covering the front and back of my thighs. I then laced up my leather forearm guards and buckled my utility belt full of alchemy bombs, stamina potions, and nullifying potion bullets (they don't kill people. Just cause temporary paralysis). I double checked my knives, ensuring they were sharp, before securing them in the holster inside my boots. My gun was secure on my left hip and my two section staff was split apart and holstered on my right hip.

Out of all my weapons, I'd have to say my staff was the most important. Might seem a little cliché given that I'm a sorceress and I carry around a staff, but it's the magical instrument I was trained with. It helps me control and direct my magic, as I trained with it while I was honing my skills. It can even give me an extra boost in defense and attack since there are special sigils engraved in its metal.

I did a mental once over, checking to make sure I had everything I needed, before leaving the room.

Nami was already at work, seeing that was a weekend and she was a bartender. I still sent her quick text about coming back in late while I waited for the others to pull up in Law's van.

"Be safe!" Was her reply.

***Mini-Time-Skip***

It had to have been at least a 3 hour drive. Soon enough though, we couldn't drive the van any further and ended up having to hike for about 45 minutes before we finally reached the border of the base. We had to have been about 400 yards away from what looked like a manor made of stone. It was a little on the small side and had no windows from what I could tell. High wooden walkways with lit torches along the posts surrounded the manor.

"Those must provide a good vantage point." I commented.

Zoro was the only one who answered back with a quiet hum of agreement.

It was dark out which provided us some cover. I drank one of the stamina potions from my belt when we arrived, immediately feeling the fatigue from the long hours melt away.

"To make this a quick endeavor, we should split up into teams." Law announced.

Kid immediately slung an arm around Law's shoulder. With a scowl Law shrugged him off.

I ended up pairing with Killer, an ice elemental mage. Zoro, an earth elemental mage, went with Usop and Robin. Usop was an alchemist while Robin was a mirror mage.

"Keep your coms on and whatever you do, do not engage!" Law said firmly, his icy glare shifting over Kid and Zoro. "This is only recon. We search our sections, Robin and Usop get a closer look, and then we leave."

With that, I turned and headed east with Killer. It was a little unsettling being partnered with him. Despite being a big and bulky, the ice mage was as quiet as a gentle snow fall. Additionally, only Kid knew his real name and what his face looked like. He kept everyone else in the dark.

"(y.n), stop. Don't move." Killer said quietly.

"What is it?" I had my hand on my staff, ready to use it, but paused when Killer crouched down.

Carefully, he stretched his fingers forward. I frowned and bent down too, spotting a thin line, glinting in the moon light. Adjusting myself closer, I saw the trip wire clearer.

"That's not all." Killer reached over the line and cautiously brushed away some of the leaves, revealing a bear trap.

"Well, that could have been really unpleasant." I stepped over both the wire and the bear trap. "Thanks."

Killer just nodded.

We continued on. At one point Killer decided to get a little closer. Using his double swords he climbed up one of the trees until he found purchase on one the high sturdy branches. I watched as he used his ice magic to create a temporary bridge connecting the branch he had been perched upon to the branch of another tree and then a third.

The crystalized structures turned into light snow as he walked past them. Eventually the blonde mage came to a stop. I could see him crouching on a high branch, overlooking the stony base.

I decided to carry on from my point, being careful about any possible traps in my path.

Before I knew it, 20 minutes had gone by. Killer eventually joined back up and informed me about the two entrances he spotted and a possible hidden exit.

"Two men came out of the hedges off to the side. We should look for more possible hidden exits." The blonde said.

"(y.n.). Killer. Zoro. Robin. Usop." Laws voice was loud and clear in my ear. "Status update. Kid and I just finished with our section."

I pressed down on my com's button. "Killer and I have finished ours as well. We'll be at the meeting point in a few."

"In a few moments, we'll finish up as well." Robin's voice spoke soon after me.

Nobody shared their findings until we were all back at the van.

Zoro, Robin, and Usop found where the rogues were possibly keeping the creatures. Kid and Law found a weak spot on the west side of the house and two more entry points, but no hidden exits.

"Robin, were you able to look inside the manor?" I asked.

"I took a few quick peaks, yes." She responded.

"And?" Law inquired.

"It's set up almost like an actual house, with rooms, a dinning hall, and a study." Robin paused for a few moments. "I think there is something more than just illegal hunting and black market sales. There were certain parts of the house my magic wouldn't allow me to grow eyes and I saw some red hoods."

"Red hoods?" Kid turned around. "No way."

"I wish I was joking." The Black haired woman said.

Red hoods were sorcerers and witches only a fool would want to engage in combat with. They were the masters of some of the most dangerous magical creatures...

Demons included.