Chapter 11: Unwanted Guest

"GRANDPA!" Luffy exclaimed in surprise and all of turned our heads to see Detective Garp of the Magical Confederation Standing in the doorway.

Dadan stood right behind him, scowl on her face and a cigarette in hand this time instead of her pipe. "What do you idiots not understand about allowing an injured person time to rest?!" She puffed out.

"I caught wind of the recent raid you brats tried to pull off." Garp started forward. "Sounds like it was very eventful."

"A good handful of the team assigned were injured by rogue demon mages and (y/n) was captured." Nami spoke curtly.

Magi-Con was not particularly liked by anyone in Grimoire Thorn. Remember, our guild consists primarily of outcasts. Mages who tight-roped the fine line between legal and illegal. We even had some members, like Kid and Killer, who were former rogues. Additionally, a good portion of our members had reckless tendencies, such as Luffy.

Because of this, our guilds' relationship with officials was greatly strained. We didn't particularly like dealing with them, and the feeling was mutual. As a matter of fact, Magi-Con was often times looking for any excuse to disband our guild.

"You kids took the job, raided the rogues hide out, but were forced to retreat and regroup, but in less than a week later the entire establishment was destroyed with little trace of the rogues involved." Detective Garp said. "Am I missing anything from your perspectives that I wouldn't find in your reports?" Garp directed the question to Nami.

"No, that's about the brief summary." Nami responded hugging Chopper a little closer to her and petting his head.

Garp gave a curt nod in acknowledgement. The older man then pulled a nearby stool over to the side of my bed and sat down, intwining the fingers of his hands together in is lap as he settled.

"Now, (y/n), I need you to tell me everything that you remember." The older man's steely gaze bore into me, almost daring me to try lying. Detective Garp may be at retiring age (hell he tried to retire once but decided it was too boring) but his intellect was still sharp. It was almost impossible to keep any knowledge from this old man. He would find something out sooner or later.

I tried not to swallow too visibly. No matter what, I could not let Garp discover I made a deal with a demon and then promptly set the demon loose. That was whole can of illegal beans that I couldn't get into right now, especially given my current state.

"It's as I told Dadan and my guildmates sir." I said and I proceeded to relay the details that were safe to share. I was shot with some arrows that were poisoned*. Thanks to the arrows, everything both visually as well as mentally obscured for a good while. Once I became more lucid, I recognized I was being kept in windowless room with only one door. Magic draining cuffs kept me from venturing too far from the bed. "It was clear they were intending to sell me as slave, and given how limited I was, I had no choice but to wait for either a rescue or an opportunity." I spoke. "A few days ago, there was a commotion within the hideout. I highly suspect that because illegal demon contractors were present, they must have been the cause. Given my state, my priority was to take advantage of the commotion and escape. They sent two rather inexperienced mages to move me. Due to their lack of knowledge and being distracted by the building shaking, I managed to take them both out the moment they disconnected me from the bed. From there I just ran. I noticed some fae running free too once I made it outside the building. I couldn't tell if the building was being sieged on their behalf or if another guild was involved." I concluded.

Garp was focused on me the entire time. He hardly even blinked as he weighed my words. Probably trying to detect gaps or figure what questions to ask. A brief silence filled the air around us before the old man closed his eyes and sat back.