chapter ten

10 x crisis mode requires experts of all kinds

>>>

[ Third person POV ]

"Your help would be much appreciated," Thor said from the arm-chair he was seated in. He had a large glass of mead in one hand, though he hadn't paid that much attention to it. "And not only because of the potential advantage you could provide when it comes to closing the tear."

Doctor Stephen Strange arched a brow. "No? I figured my sorcery was what brought you here."

"Partially," Thor agreed. "Not in entirety." He set the glass down and leaned forward in his seat. "One of the Avengers ... she is unwell. If I recall correctly, you used to be a physician."

"Neurosurgeon, actually," Strange said. "Though it I recall correctly," he mirrored Thor's phrasing, "Doctor Banner is among your team, and has served as something of a physician himself."

Thor nodded, "That he does. And he does an admirable job. But between your medical expertise and your—" he gestured with a hand "—sorcery, perhaps you can offer help that no one else has been able to."

Strange remained silent in consideration. He had not been entirely surprised when Thor showed up outside the Sanctum Sanctorium; he had started to have a sense of something going wonky dimension-wise, something disruptive and dark. His investigation hadn't made it very far before Thor arrived, but he was aware nonetheless. Even now, it was pulling at his senses — a pesky side effect to being the Sorcerer Supreme.

"Is she human?" Strange asked.

"Partially. Actually, they are currently in Asgard trying to discern her lineage. They should hopefully return to Midgard before the tear between the realms manifests completely."

Strange nodded slowly. "If she's human--" even in part, he thought, "--then I'll see what I can do. But you've got to understand, I can't make promises." He didn't want to give false hope. Not until he knew what he was dealing with.

"That is all I ask of you," Thor smiled before he stood up. "I appreciate the hospitality you have extended to me, Strange. If you would now be so kind as to join me, I believe a gathering is supposed to occur at the Facility while we await word from Heimdall."

Strange stood up, flicking his wrist and sending Thor's glass of mead away as he did so. "Heimdall. The Sentinel?"

"Correct."

"Interesting," Strange mused before he opened a portal; the front lawn of the Avengers Facility was visible beyond. "You know, in the meantime, I might have an idea of the general area the tear could settle in ..."

>>>

The Bifröst touched down on the front yard of the Facility right as Strange and Thor walked through the portal.

Pietro was carrying Megan, Doctor Foster was carrying a fancy, alien-looking tablet, Banner looked like he might throw up ... and Stark turned toward Thor and Strange with a frown.

"Who's he?" Tony asked Thor before he turned to the sorcerer. "Who are you? Was that a portal?"

"Stark," Thor intervened before he could continue his interrogation. "This is Doctor Stephen Strange. He is the Sorcerer Supreme. Strange, this is Anthony Stark. Though I am certain he would have gotten to mentioning that himself, eventually."

"Sorcerer Supreme?" Tony echoed with a doubtful look on his face. "As in, more hocus-pocus, mystical-magic stuff? Great," he muttered. Then he shook his head. "Doesn't matter; we have bigger issues." He tipped his head toward the others. "Megan passed out on Asgard, and she hasn't woken up yet."