chapter three

03 x wherein I embody the uptown funk song, and it isn't a fun time

>>>

In the time it took Sam suit up, and Bucky to grab a coat -- for safety reasons, as Bruce said -- I had done the complete opposite. Left alone with Wanda in the training room until I was to be transferred up to the landing pad, in my pained efforts to try and actually achieve some sense of cold on my skin, I had ducked into the locker room and stripped down to a sports bra and track shorts. Though my costume may have been more functional, right then, it felt like it was suffocating me. Not to mention I had internalized most of the heat, which meant the clothes were safe ...

But I felt kind of like I was dying.

I was also afraid of spontaneously combusting, which was threatening to cause me to panic, so it was just a whole endless cycle of fun for poor Wanda to endure.

All of which further confirmed in my mind that Wanda is some kind of saint.

"Given it is nearing winter," Wanda said, "your attire is ... amusing." She smiled teasingly at me. "Though I am sure my brother would choose other words."

"Wanda," I said, both hands firmly entangled in my hair, "if you haven't noticed, I'm currently incapable of blushing."

"Also not doing too great with the comebacks," she observed. "I am just trying to keep your mind off of things. Pietro usually helps that with you. That, and Star Wars ... and coffee ... maybe Stark should just buy you a Starbucks. I'm sure he would find great amusement in employing Barnes and Rogers in such an establishment."

I blinked at her a few times. "Too hot to process what you're saying. Though the effort ... is appreciated."

Her smile turned sympathetic, her dark green eyes soft with concern. "Oh, Megan. I'm sure any minute now--"

"Excuse me, Miss Maximoff, but I am to inform you that Miss Sinclair may be brought up to the landing pad now," JARVIS interrupted politely.

"See?" Wanda smiled in victory. "They are all ready. Come," she coaxed me toward the door, "I will walk you. Just in case."

True to her word, she remained by my side as she escorted me to the landing pad. Always an arms-length away, and I didn't doubt she could feel the heat coming off me in waves, but if it bothered her, she didn't say anything. Wanda smiled kindly at me once we did reach the landing pad, giving Sam and Bucky a quick glance before turning her full attention to me. "Do not worry about Pietro while you are gone," she said. "But if you need me--" when she searched my eyes this time, I understood. If I needed someone to come and try to mentally override my powers. "--do not hesitate to tell them. Though I will say, I hope it does not come to that. Now, I would hug you, but I think that would not be appreciated, so--" she nodded toward Sam and Bucky.

I nodded quietly in response, taking a few slow steps before pausing to look back at her. "Wanda?"

Her brows arched in a silent answer.

"Thank you," I said quietly, before turning away and heading for the jet.

Sam walked on with me, and it was only as I heard the jet powering up that it occurred to me that Bucky was already on board. The ramp whirred shut after us, and rather than sitting in a chair, I just kind of flopped onto the floor.

At least the metal felt cold ...

"Man, Banner wasn't kidding," Sam mused, taking a few steps toward the cockpit before leaning against the nearest wall. "You're like a space heater right now." From my vantage point, he appeared to be upside down. He also appeared concerned.