chapter fourteen

14 x the light show that follows

>>>

[ FOURTY THREE HOURS LEFT ]

[ Third Person POV ]

As soon as Wanda had flipped the switch and she felt some sort of other interference -- what she guessed was the work of Doctor Strange -- she pulled herself and Doctor Strange's consciouses out of Megan's head.

The two of them stood there for a moment, uncertainty heavy in the air. "Did it work?" Wanda asked.

Doctor Strange opened his mouth to answer, but before he could, Megan began to glow.

It was dim at first, but the light was building.

Wanda and Doctor Strange exchanged a wide-eyed look.

"Can you access her mind?" Strange asked as he backed away and pulled Wanda with him.

"No," Wanda said, her eyes fixed on Megan before she understood the implications. She looked back over at Doctor Strange.

He nodded toward Bruce. "I think we need to get out of this lab."

"Do you think--"

"I think she'll be fine," Strange said, "but I don't know if we will." He flung the door open and called, "Doctor Banner! We need to, ah, leave the lab. Now."

Wanda followed after him with only a fleeting glance over her shoulder at Megan. She didn't get a good look though, because Megan was almost too bright to look at. She turned away.

"Now?" Bruce echoed with visible confusion as he moved toward them.

"Now," Wanda agreed. She grabbed his arm and the three of them ran out of the room right as she could feel the heat beginning to build.

>>>

"Stark?"

"Wanda ... why are you calling me? Aren't you still in the Facility? Which I am also in."

"Yes, I am. I just, uh, wanted to let you know ... I think you're probably going to have to do some major repairs in the medical wing."

"What? Why? Is Megan okay?"

"I don't ... I'm not sure. If Pietro is with you, do not tell him I said that."

"He isn't, I'm in my workshop. What happened?"

"Doctor Strange and I, we tried a cognitive recalibration, he thought it was the best way to help Megan--"

"What does that even mean, you tried a cognitive recalibration? Hello?!"

"Tony, it's me."

"Bruce, for the love of all things green, tell me what is going on!"

"Well ... I think that, um, you are probably going to need to do some repairs in the medical wing--"

"Bruce! I don't care about the repairs! Buildings can be rebuilt, but Megan can't come back from the dead! Is she okay?"

"... the light just stopped. I'm going in to check now."

"I'm coming to you."

"Okay, just don't--"

"Tell Pietro, I know. I'll be there in a minute."