11 || Orion

Orion had never experienced true hatred until now. It was the kind that made your stomach clench while you wished you could crawl into a hole and hide. And here was the man from the forest, Romril as the healers had called him, standing smugly before him with a snarl on his face. There was a small shuffle behind him as the guards retreated, they melded smoothly into the shadows leaving Orion to face his attacker alone.

He tried his best to swallow the anger rising in his throat. Here was the man who had caused all this trouble, yet one wrong move and Orion would be the one who was punished. So he gritted his teeth and nodded "That's a rather nice mural. Although, I didn't even know that they had wings."

Try as he might, Orion failed to keep his loathing from leaking into his voice. He tensed as Romril narrowed his eyes and anxiously waited for the anger that was sure to follow. It never came. Instead, Romril laughed before leaning forward and gave him a pat on the shoulder. "They don't usually have wings, but my queen asked the artists to add them for dramatic effect."

Romril tilted his head and gave Orion a quick once over before smoothing down his own shirt. "You must have done something to irritate your jailers. One night down there and you already look like that." He trailed off and his gaze settled on something behind Orion before snapping back to focus on him.

"Isn't it a pity that there's no time to make you presentable before you meet my queen? And as the humans say, first impressions do matter." He flashed Orion a cold smile before gesturing at the shadows pooling behind the massive tapestry to his left. There was a ripple and the female guard stepped forward with a tight smile on her face. For the first time, Orion thought he saw fear race across her face.

A brief conversation ensued and Orion felt like a pebble sitting in a river. Their words rushed over him and while he kept his face impassive his mind raced with fear. Now was not the time to learn how to speak the Dilid tongue but he hoped they weren't discussing anything too serious.

His head shot up when Romril cleared his throat and nodded at the intricate door. "I would wish you luck but I believe in accountability. If you are indeed innocent of the crime you have been accused of then the gods will protect you." Orion immediately scowled and wished he could kick him.

Romril's words struck him just as he'd intended. Rumors of the human king banishing the gods had been circulating the kingdom long before Orion was even born. Whether it was true or not had yet to be determined, perhaps the gods had just decided to let their creations run free. He opened his mouth to shoot out a sharp retort but quickly changed his mind when Romril gave the steel gazed guards on either side of the door a sharp nod.

There was a short creak and the doors silently swung open to reveal a large well lit hall. Golden sunlight streamed through the windows and cast the room in a warm welcoming glow. All around the room sat members of the court on rugs made from the skins and furs of animals they had captured over the years.

Romril gave him a quick shove from behind and before he knew it, the door had slammed shut behind him. One of his jailers, the woman, had slipped in behind him and she gave him a quick glare before motioning him to face the front. The room erupted in chatter once the elves caught sight of him but Orion was instantly drawn to the woman on the throne.

He wasn't really sure what he was expecting, possibly someone who radiated power and control but not what sat before him. The throne itself was grand in many ways, and with arching thorny branches and dull red sap it made for a startling painful image. No, it was the woman who sat on it who confused him. She looked no older than a child with her wide blue eyes and dimpled smile.

And strangest of all, her crown didn't fit her. Woven from branches lined with dead flowers and what looked like claws, it slipped below her forehead and covered part of her eyes. Behind her stood a man dressed in fine clothing, silver runes glimmered on the hem of his shirt. He seemed surprised to see Orion in the room but beckoned him forwards before leaning down to say something in the queen's ear.