20 || Orion

Orion hated how the village houses while seemingly empty, still managed to leer out under the warm midday sun. He followed Romril down the beaten path and wondered when was the last time the villagers had found the time to thatch and mend their roofs. And yet doors sat open, almost welcoming visitors into the dark spaces that lay beyond. Children ran freely through the street, chasing dogs, cattle and small creatures that Orion quickly identified as rats.

Orion shuddered and moved to get out of the way. It was then he caught sight of Laurel gaping wide-eyed at the scene before them. He slowed his

"Are you alright?" He couldn't believe that he was the one checking up on his keeper. Still, Laurel had made a few efforts to extend a kind hand. Perhaps now was the time to reciprocate.

"I--no. No, I'm not alright." She shook her head and moved to push a few strands of blond hair away from her eyes. "Allowing these bulls to wander freely among the children is a recipe for disaster."

"Disaster?"

They ducked to keep left among the row of houses that loomed before them. Orion was uncomfortably aware of the prying gazes and followed their every move. And even the scrawny dogs that darted through the streets shot away to hid behind rickety carts and moulding bales of straw.

"I've seen it before. Bulls are bad-tempered and easily spooked. Whats to say that they won't maim these children?" Laurel quickly nodded and motioned for the children to move away. But they only stopped to watch, dark-eyed and curious, as Orion and his keepers shuffled deeper into their village.

Orion frowned in concentration. "You're right, nothing is stopping them, but you do have to admit that they look happy. And besides, villages near these rocky mountains believe that letting the bulls mingle within a herd of cows calms them."

He paused as a woman with her hands full of dough leaned out the window and caught his eye. She watched him wordlessly before her gaze shifted to Romril who had stalked ahead. Then as quickly as it started, she moved away and closed the shutters behind her.

He heard a sharp intake of breath beside him as Laurel moved to catch up with Romril. A few sharp words later and Romril reluctantly shoved his blade further under his cloak. Orion quickly ducked his head and wished that he had asked for a cloak before leaving the Dilid stronghold. Romril's weapon might have frightened the lady, but in a village that most likely dealt with wolves and the injuries they brought with them, Orion had a sinking feeling that his bleeding arm was what frightened her the most.

The flutter of moving feet caught his eye and Orion looked up to see that the elves had settled under a large tree within the village square. Beyond that lay another low stone wall where a group of young men stared out from behind the safety of the rocks. One of them, a tall fellow with features like stone, turned to the boy beside him and mouthed something. They both laughed. Then Romril turned with a hiss and the laughter slowed to a trickle.

"Empty air-headed fools." Romril had placed himself squarely in the shade to glare out at those who look on for a little too long. "In fact--" He paused to pick something--a leaf--off his shoulder before turning to Orion with a grin. "We might have a little more luck finding our way to the citadel if we send you to ask the questions."

Orion scoffed. "A little more luck. Sure. But given that your queen put you in charge of ensuring no failure, I would have expected a little more effort with the planning. All this--" He gestured at the scene before him. "Seems very haphazard."

"You..." Romril rose to his feet his a low growl but a sharp tap on his shoulder forced him back down onto his seat.

"Don't cause a scene."