Chapter Two

"Arthur! Arthur!" The blonde boy woke with a yell of his name. "Arthur are you here?"

Rubbing his eyes he sat up from his place in the woods. The fire had died out and the sun was his new source of heat.

"Come and play with us!" Arthur knew that voice, it was Edmund. The boy carried a grin, his feet moving subconsciously as he ran towards the noise.

"Edmund!" Arthur yelled.

"Over here!" Edmund shouted back. Arthur found the pair perched upon a soft blanket with decorative pillows. Arthur's eyes grew in amazement, the food ranged from cucumber and salmon sandwiches to chicken soup and fruit. There were endless amounts. "Mother just got married, there was so much food we thought we would share it with you."

Arthur instantly took a seat as he dug in, he couldn't remember the last time he ate this good.

"Hungry, are we?" Edmund chuckled as he spoke with his mouth full of food. Arthur just nodded as he took a salmon sandwich to his mouth.

"Drink?" Aurora asked as she handed him a flask full of water, Arthur smiled gratefully as he took a swig.

Swallowing the sandwich in his mouth his eyes widened once more. "Is that cake?" Arthur grinned as he wiped his mouth on his sleeve, pointing to a nearby plate full of cut-up Victoria sponges.

"Yes," Edmund replied as Arthur gasped.

"Can I have some?"

"Of course, you can." Aurora cackled. Arthur wasted no time as he dug his hand into the bowl taking a big bite.

"Wow." He whispered.

Edmund raised an eyebrow, his questioning manor getting the best of him. "Arthur, have you never had cake before?"

"Well, now I have." Arthur shrugged.

"How have you never had cake before?" The Princess tilted her head.

"Don't have the money."

"Don't your parents have any?" Edmund piped up, no longer as hungry.

"I don't have parents either."

Everything began to click within the young Prince's mind. Filthy clothes, big appetite, never had cake, any money, any parents... "Where do you live Arthur?" The Prince quizzed.

Arthur smiled warmly, "right here, in the woods." There was another wave of silence as the siblings dwelled on how lucky they were.

"If it helps," Edmund started, "we don't have a father either, he died a few years ago."

"Now mothers married to this horrid man." Aurora shuddered.

"He hates us." Edmund explained, "he tells me how if my father were alive he would be ashamed of me." Edmund faltered.

Arthur furrowed his brows, "I'm sure that's not true.

"It's not," Aurora confirmed. "Edmund is a good swordsman, the knights say he will be one of the best."

"The knights?" Arthur questioned. Now it was the new boy's turn to wrap his head around things. The food, the clothes, the money... "You're of noble blood!" Arthur cackled, clapping his hands.

Aurora smiled sweetly, "it is more than that."

Arthur questioned everything once more, "how else is your family able to afford this?" He shrugged, reaching for another slice of cake. "It's as if you live as King's and Queen's!" He laughed aloud.

"Well," Edmund scratched the back of his neck, "I am next in line."

"Next in line for what?"

"To be King of course." Aurora smiled.