Chapter Eighteen

The sun gifted the young King as it made its way present through the window, the light rays illuminating the room. Caspian slowly rubbed his eyes, feeling the warm sun on his skin. He softly blinked a few times as his vision transitioned from blurry to clear. When he had fully opened his eyes, he jumped at the sight at the end of his bed.

"Morning Sire." Arthur beamed brightly as he stood at the foot of the King's bed, hands behind his back as Caspian jolted at his voice.

"Arthur." Caspian greeted as he sat up.

"Hungry?" Arthur questioned. Caspian furrowed his brows, confused as to why Arthur was here.

"A bit," he answered honestly as Arthur spun around, picking up a plate from the table. It carried three croissants sprinkled with icing powder and decorated with fresh berries. "What's the meaning of this?" Caspian chuckled as he took the plate. "Where's my maid?"

"Do not worry Sire, all is well."

"What's the time?" Caspian suddenly asked, placing his plate on his bed.

"On my way here, the village sun dial read one." Arthur shared.

"One!" Caspian yelled. "I have a council meeting." He sighed. "My maid was supposed to wake me up at dawn." He began to scramble out of bed, Arthur shaking his head as he pushed him back.

"Your meeting was cancelled Sire, and I told your servant to leave you be, you clearly needed the sleep." Arthur smiled. "Please, relax."

The King exhaled as he smiled gratefully at his friend. "Arthur, you don't have to do this."

"Sire please." Arthur rolled his eyes as he held his finger to his lips, he pulled out the hand he hid behind him as he brought out a box. "Happy birthday Caspian." He handed the box over as Caspian grinned, opening it up to reveal a personalised dagger, cemented in red gems.

"It's beautiful," Caspian commented as he felt the weight of it in both hands.

"I know you lost your last dagger, so I made sure to find you a new one."

Caspian nodded, "Thank you."

"Now then, eat up," Arthur instructed. "And be ready by six." Arthur smiled as he made his way towards the door. "Oh, and wear something nice Sire," Arthur added before walking out the door, leaving the King to ponder what his knight had in store for him.

♖♖♖

Aurora sat at her vanity desk within her chambers as she pulled through some dangly, silver earrings, watching her movement through the mirror. She was wearing a red velvet, long sleeve dress, tied around the back of her frame, the end of the dress resting on the floor as it dragged behind her. Truth be told she looked spectacular, a truly beautiful Princess.

She heard a knock at the door as Arthur made his way in, barely paying attention to her as he was reading the scroll in his hands.

"The Knights of... Gerevad?" Arthur questioned. "If that's how you say it, have just arrived." Arthur shrugged as he read a few more unfamiliar names off the list. "Why does this man have so many friends?" He chuckled. "Anyway, how are you getting on, are you-" Arthur almost dropped his scroll as he looked up from the paper, admiring the girl he loved. The sun was setting but she was still sparkling. He swore he could have married her right then and there.

She smiled warmly at him as he made his way over to her. "You look incredible."

She giggled, "As do you, fine knight." Arthur stood in his silver chain mail and a big red cape around his neck as he represented the colours of Caspian.

He blushed a little as he pulled something out of a bag he was carrying. "I bought something for you." He swallowed.

"For me? But it is not my birthday." She smiled.

"I know," he nodded. "Think of it as a return." He opened the bag to reveal a silver tiara, it had crystals around the rim and a big ruby that sat in the middle of it.

"My first tiara?" She gasped.

"When I left the kingdom of Asterin, I wanted something to remind me of you, seeing as you no longer used it, I took it." He sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." She grinned as her hand found his cheek, and he smiled as he subtly nuzzled into it.

"May I?" He questioned as she nodded. He held the tiara with both hands as he gently placed it upon her head as she blushed immensely. Mesmerised by the beauty she had he looked down at her face where a smile began to make its way across.

"Arthur?" She had mumbled as he hummed in response. "There is something I must tell you."

Arthur waited, subconsciously their bodies moving closer together, her eyes flickered to his lips as she wrapped her arms around his neck, Arthur's hands finding refuge on her waist.

"Let's get this party started!" A voice roared as the pair jumped away from one another, looking towards a young Prince who slammed the door open. "Oh, hello Arthur." Edmund grinned making his way over to the pair. "My favourite sister!" He smiled kissing her head as he swung an arm around her shoulder.

"I'm your only sister." Aurora retaliated as she took his arm off her. "And you reek of alcohol."

"Come on, don't be like that!" He slurred. "It's a birthday party right?" Edmund asked Arthur as the knight let out a chuckle.

"Yes, brother." Arthur mocked. "How much have you had to drink? The ball hasn't even started."

"Sir George told me I had to match what he drinks tonight," Edmund explained.

"Sir George?" Aurora repeated, surprised by the knight's childishness.

Arthur let out a cackle as he folded his arms. "Who else was there when this happened?"

"Just me, Sir George and Sir Galahad."

"Of course." Arthur nodded as he looked towards Aurora who raised an eyebrow. "Sir George is known for having the strongest stomach, he can drink whatever he wants without getting drunk."

Aurora sighed as she looked towards her brother who let out a loud belch. "Oh, Ed." She finally snickered.

"Come on, let's get you some water." Arthur offered as he gestured for Edmund to follow him out of the room. "See you later Aurora."

"See you later." She sighed as the boys left her room.

♖♖♖