Chapter Sixteen

Edmund had retired to his chambers late that night, after his talk with Arthur, the knight was able to get some rest, knowing that Aurora somewhat liked him back. Ed was still hung up on the fact his kingdom wasn't his, eventually, he fell asleep very late.

But as the world works, night had finished, the sun ascending. It was a scorching day, the heat clinging to the people of Caspian. King Caspian had ordered the knights to practice their sword skills. A morning of training. His warriors did as they were told, all thirty of his best knights, including the likes of, Sir Galahad, Sir George and Sir William.

Caspian had them stand in a line upon a field, facing him as he discussed what was to happen in today's training.

"We're going to start with a warm-up. One-on-one combat. Easy, just keep your opponent on their feet." Caspian smiled as he walked through his rows of men on the field. "On the count of three I want-"

Caspian was distracted by two figures within the distance, squinting his eyes he made out his favourite knight and Prince Edmund. They were running towards him, struggling to carry their armour and weapons in this warmth.

Panting hard, they stood next to the King, Arthur clutching his stomach as he struggled to speak.

"Busy morning?" Caspian chuckled.

"You could say that," Arthur gasped, "sorry we're late Sire." He apologised as he looked at Edmund, waiting for his response. Instead, the boy said nothing as he nodded, joining the men in their lines.

"As I was explaining, on the count of three you will strike your opponent. People on the left you are partnered with the person on your right." Caspian bellowed across the field as everyone began to pair up. "One, two, three!"

Edmund was partnered with Arthur due to their late arrival, unsheathing their swords the pair began to lightly duel.

"What's your issue?" Arthur suddenly questioned as he hit Edmund's sword.

"Nothing," Edmund replied blankly, his sword heavily falling upon Arthur's.

"You've been acting weird with Caspian and before I told you what I did last night," Arthur mentioned.

"Nothing is wrong." Edmund seethed, thrusting his sword as he nearly missed Arthur's head. Arthur raised his eyebrows as he took in Edmund's anger.

"Your anger will get the best of you one day if you don't learn to control it."

"I'm not," Edmund swatted at Arthur as he raised his sword to block it, "angry!" The Prince yelled. No longer in a stable mindset, his sword began to make hefty blows at Arthur, he ignored Arthur's tumble to the floor, that didn't stop him. He wasn't fighting friendly, his sword now continuously hit Arthur's shield as the knight lay under it, taking every collision. Edmund couldn't hear Arthur's attempts of telling him to stop, his mind was blank.

"Easy their tiger," Caspian commented as he held Edmund's arm, stopping a lethal strike at Arthur. "I think he's had enough."

Edmund looked from Arthur's vulnerable position to the King. Scowling he muttered, "Do you speak for him now?"

"I'm sorry?" Caspian chuckled. "Have I done something to offend you?"

Arthur quickly stood up, stepping in between the pair. "He's had a rough night, haven't you Ed?" Arthur stressed as he widened his eyes. Edmund grunted as he dropped his sword, striding towards the castle, Caspian bewildered by his actions.

"He's grieving Sire," Arthur sighed as he ran after the Prince, catching him in the castle halls.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Arthur yelled as he jogged a few steps behind Edmund.

"I don't like him," Edmund stated plainly as he carried on his speed walk.

"Hey!" Arthur called as he finally caught up to Ed. "Do I need to remind you he saved your life?" He bellowed as he grabbed Edmund's arm, spinning him around. Edmund by shock pushed Arthur against the wall, his arm over his neck. Arthur did nothing as he just stared at the boy before him.

Ed instantly regretted his actions, his scowl now a frown, "I'm sorry," Edmund mumbled. "I shouldn't have done that." He let go as he carried on his walk along the corridor.

Arthur had leant off the wall, calling after his brother. "Is this about being King?" Edmund halted, slowly turning around. "I told you we'll get Asterin back."

"When? It's never going to happen. I was next in line Arthur." Edmund cried out. "And now I'm stuck here like some damsel in distress. I'm supposed to be King!"

Arthur slowly began making his way toward his brother. "And you are. In my eyes." Edmund scoffed. "You don't need to have a crown or a fancy palace. You need heart and courageousness, all traits that you carry."

"Arthur please." Edmund sighed.

"Remember when the village boys used to terrorise me for who I used to be? You were the one who wasn't afraid to hold my hand and walk me through the town. You were the one who let everyone know if they said another word, you'd have them in the stocks. We were eleven!" Arthur smiled.

"That doesn't prove anything."

"What about all those times you stood up to Uhtred when I and our mother were too scared to say anything?" Arthur questioned. "You had mother's back when Uhtred had a sword to your throat," Arthur explained as he now faced Edmund. "That right there is courage and that right there is heart." Arthur nodded as he jabbed his index finger at the young Prince's chest. "You have all the makings of a fine King, so don't be so down."

There it was again, Arthur and his charming words. Edmund let out a breath he never knew he was holding. "I've been a fool." Edmund sighed.

Arthur vigorously shook his head, "you have been grieving, I know the old Ed would never have lost hope, your actions are deeper than anger."

Edmund shrugged, "perhaps."

Arthur grinned, "I think you forget I know you very well."

"Unfortunately." Ed teased. "I should apologise to Caspian."

Arthur smirked as he swung an arm around the boy, walking down the corridor. "He'll get over it."

♖♖♖