Chapter Eleven

Nevarth entered the saloon, his eyes immediately searching for the man who had invited him. When he found him, he waved his hand to signal for him to come and take a seat.

The size-shifter obeyed, sitting across from him. The table they sat on was small, with only enough room to fit two people. On top of the table, there were already two mugs full of liquor.

"You're late," Glen commented, taking a sip from his drink.

Nevarth rolled his eyes. "I didn't notice." He grabbed the handle to his mug and pulled it closer to himself.

The man sitting across from him chuckled. "Okay, what brings you to Ucrelia?" He asked with a faint grin on his mouth.

"I'm traveling with Russell." The brunet absently trailed his finger around the brim of the mug.

"What for?" Glen placed the mug he was drinking from onto the table, making a clanking sound in response. The table lightly shook from the unexpected force.

"I-we are obtaining something of great importance to me." Nevarth took a sip from his drink, resisting the urge to gag at the bitter taste. He couldn't tell what kind it was, but it was something he had never tried before.

"And what is that?"

"Are you going to ask all of the questions here?"

"My bad, I'm nosey, aren't I?" Glen awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, earning a dry laugh from the one sitting across from him.

"I'm afraid so." Nevarth chuckled. "I'll ask you a question. Why did you invite me to get drinks?" His face turned from a smile to a grimace.

"I couldn't look away when I first saw you. I-"

"Cut with the bullshit. What is the real reason why?"

"You don't believe me?" Glen cocked a brow at him. Then he gulped down some more of his drink.

The size-shifter rolled his eyes and took another sip. "Frankly, I don't." He leaned back, resting his feet on the table, holding the mug in his hand.

"I only speak the truth, but if you don't let me, then let's change the subject." The man hummed to himself, thinking of what to ask next. "What do you do?" Nevarth took his feet off of the table, properly sitting.

A small, confident smirk formed on his face. "I don't do anything." Glen's brows furrowed with confusion, silently asking him to explain. "I explore town to town on foot. I earn what a receive, gold pieces."

"Ah, you're the mysterious type." Glen clicked his tongue, leaning his arms on the table, leaning closer to the one across from him.

"So what if I am?" Nevarth playfully narrowed his eyes, also leaning closer. Though, he had no intention of doing anything else.

"It adds another challenge for me to earn your heart~." The man sent him a wink, making the other blink in response. He was not expecting that kind of answer.

The brunet scoffed. "What makes you say that you'll 'earn my heart'?" Nevarth gave him a dry laugh, leaning back against the chair, crossing his arms.

"Awfully confident, aren't you?"

"I can kill every person in this room before most of them have a chance to get to their feet. Skills like that do wonders for self-confidence."

"Should I be scared?"

"That shouldn't even be a question." The size-shifter drank some more of his liquor, practically chugging it down.

"Okay then, let's change the subject, shall we?" Glen awkwardly coughed into his hand. "What are your thoughts of the giant incident in Braedour?"

Nevarth's eyes widened, nearly spitting out his drink. "That came out of nowhere." The man chuckled at his comment. "But if it doesn't concern me, then I don't care." He shrugged.

"Really? So you're not a little bit anxious?" The other cocked a brow at him, his face quickly becoming serious.

"Why should I be? I'm sure they had a good reason. Nevertheless, when was the last time a giant attacked?" Nevarth drank some more, wanting to forget this conversation and change the subject desperately.

"I thought you would say something like that," Glen said nonchalantly, finally relaxing in his chair.

"What?" The size-shifter looked at the other as if he had spoken another language. The man chuckled at this, a cheery smile becoming sinister.

"You have a clever disguise, but I know what you really are." Glen sighed, looking down at his drink. "Size-shifter." His head shot up at him, now glaring. "Take him away!" Before Nevarth could resist, a bunch of men ran over, grabbing his arms.

The size-shifter kicked and squirmed, trying to get out of their hold. "Get off of me!" Two more men grabbed his legs, preventing him from kicking them anymore. Suddenly, a needle stabbed into his arm. "Ow! What the..." The world around him became dark as he fell limp.

Meanwhile, Raollin was sitting on the ground, watching people come and go. Some of them had thrown coins at him as if he was homeless. At some point, he wandered around, giving the gold to people who actually needed it.

When he came back to the saloon, there were a group of five men. Four of them holding an unconscious-

"Nevarth!" Without a second of hesitation, the knight ran over, hoping to save him. Two more men came out of nowhere, blocking his way to him. The knight wasn't going to give up so easily. "Nevarth-!"

One of the two men blocking him grabbed his arm, keeping him from coming any closer. "Get lost. You have no business here." The first one hissed, pushing Raollin, knocking him to the ground.

"What are you going to do to him?!" The blond shouted as he got up from the cobblestone ground. He hissed in pain as he got up, getting scratched by the rough stone.

"I said get lost!" The first one threw a punch at his jaw, knocking him back down. The bystanders collectively gasped, watching this scene. The second one kicked him in the head, beating him unconscious.