iv

She started to smile, shakily, in response.

"I'm sure I can find something for you two boys to do." She glanced down at the paperwork on her desk.

"I've got to sort through this but I need someone to hang up the "Paradise Lost" and "Inferno" images. It's what we'll be studying next. And the classroom is awfully boring right now."

"Really? I'm quite interested then," said Marius. He stuck his hands in his trouser pockets in an almost carefree way. "The struggles of a man's journey through hell and well, I never understood Paradise Lost. All I know is that I hate poems. What needs to be said should be said. Saying it somewhat artistically is a grotesque way to get a point across."

"Yes, I'm sure it goes hand in hand with the themes you're learning in your Religious Studies, she  chided, sliding the paperwork so it all lined up. That's satisfying feeling of the papers matching up was short lived, as she was met with an almost menacing silence.

Y/N looked up, puzzled at having no response in return. Daniel had hid in the corner, starting to staple Dante meeting the human turned tree in canto XIII to the wall clumsily.

Marius, on the other hand, stood before her, close. Too close?

"...Where did you hear about that?" Marius's eyes were covered in the veil of his locks, dark despite the sun streaming through the window.

Y/N was confused, but her heart suddenly had a mini contraction, as if she should be scared, a warning of some sorts. But she pushed that feeling away.

Shock of the sunlight hitting my eyes, can't see for a hot sec and I panic like mad...

"Hear about what?" She let out a breath of air which was intended to be a chuckle, "Shouldn't I be interested in your life?"

That seemed to make Marius happy as his eyes were clear again, squinting around the edges in a perfect manner, not to make wrinkles, but a wide smile, if you know what I mean.

"I'm glad you are. I just didn't think you'd be stalking me, checking every lesson I do! That's adorable!"

Her eyes flushed bright scarlet, she stuttered slightly as she felt her teeth chatter: that was it! A chill had passed through her. He just sounded too enthusiastic at the thought.

She turned her back in an attempt to conceal her flaming face from his field of vision.

Alas, he'd seen it.

And boy was he celebrating internally. The scenarios this could lead to... the expressions that only he had witnessed and therefore belonged to him...

He reached out to touch her shoulder with two gliding, slender fingers from behind—

Crash!

He turned in annoyance, fury evident on his face.

That pest was still here.

He gritted his teeth and his slicked hair came undone by the hairline. That rat needed to go, he could kill him, would kill him, poison him strangle him don't look away I'm talking I'm most important I'll kill him!

"Oh my! What's going on? Daniel, are you alright?"

Marius watched with clenched fists as his teacher hurried to approach the boy. Daniel, the rat, had managed to drop the stapler on his foot.

He cried out in pain.

"Oh it's broken! I think it's broken!"

Daniel didn't know what went through him but he'd turned around to check on Miss L/N when he saw—him. Trying to... to touch... to violate. He didn't like that.

The stapler drop had been an accident but the attention was worth it.

The look on Marius's face! Priceless! Although now he couldn't tell whether he should be making funeral plans or be ecstatic that he managed to make the boy look like that.

It somehow felt right.

He jolted when the teacher so suddenly touched his arm! Oh fuck. Oh fuck! Why was this happening now! He struggled to pull his sweater down, not trying to deny her help but he would keep his back turned for the time being.

As much as he wanted her help if she saw Daniel would cease to be her favourite student, her attention would turn to... this bastard.

But how could he fight Marius? Marius was god. Would become god. How could Daniel, some mortal living under the mercy of that god, even think to expose him?

"Do you need help? Let me take you to the infirmary!" Miss L/N was so kind, endearing and she cared for him!

He wanted to lean into that touch.

"N-n-no need! I-I- my foot can't be that bad..."

It was swelling, and fast.

"No. No, let me take you," the teacher insisted, frantic panic present in her voice.

"I'll take him."

Y/N jumped. He was right behind he'd, whispering in her ear and letting the hot breath lift her strands of H/C hair into the air just for a second. She didn't know why she felt so... so...

She mentally slapped herself.

"Y-yes! You do that Marius. I want you two to get along better anyways, and I have to prepare for class."

Daniel felt his stomach drop.

Marius smirked, twirling a baby hair around his finger. "I'll be back before you know it."

His tone became harsher as he glared at Daniel. "I think we'll get along so well, mostly due to my amazing social skills."

His smile was bitter as he stroked Y/N's back. She instinctively swatted his hand and coughed.

"Then off you go."

Marius smiled. Her reactions were too cute, and these remained clouded in his thoughts as he hoisted Daniel in his arms.

He nodded his head at Y/N, whose face was slightly covered with her hands. Her eyes peaked at him between the cracks of her fingers. Was this forbidden romance or was she reading too much into it.

They eventually left the classroom and she sunk to the floor in exhaustion.

"All I know is that I can't do... I can't..."

She dug her nails into her hair. "I'll be in deep shit."

Marius, outside and away from any prying ears, threw Daniel to the ground.

"You looked at her, you little rat fucker. Im going to kill you. I'm going to ruin your life. I'll make you wish you weren't even born—!"

He raised his fist to the whimpering boy. Daniel's eyes were squeezed and his lip trembled. He looked so pathetic even Marius stopped.

"Wait, why am I even doing this? I can't dirty my hands. Not for her to see, anyways. I can ask some mortal to do it for me."

"Y-you! What do you want with Miss L/N?"

Marius smiled at the thought of her, but that soon turned to rage. "You shouldn't be allowed to utter her name, you worthless shit, you scum..."

His eyes trailed downwards.

He took a double-take.

And snorted so hard.

I know it's short and people have been begging me to update. Expect more manipulation to come as I apologise deeply and humbly.