Prologue

KAYLA OPENED HER EYES

Deep breath.

In. Out.

Darkness.

Alone.

Head high.

No fear.

No monsters.

Peace.

Or so she thought...

~8~

The next time Kayla opened her eyes, she wasn't alone.

A blond vampire was next to her, feeding off a man.

Kayla scattered to her feet, slipping on the ground, just realizing she was dripping wet too as well as the guy.

The vampire dropped the body to an opened safe, turning to her, blood dripping down his mouth as he stalked forward to Kayla.

Kayla crawled backwards, still feeling a bit disoriented about her experience. Everything was too bright and the feeling of seeing someone else was excruciating as she had been alone for who knows how long. Her back crashed against something solid, glancing backwards seeing it was a tree, slowly returning her gaze to the vampire as he knelt in front of her, breathing heavily. His gaze was locked in a bleeding gash in her forehead.

"Not today, buddy" Kayla broke the silence as soon as he was close enough to touch him, letting her hand glow red as she siphoned him, at the same time causing him an aneurysm that made him scream in pain, falling backwards, holding his head, "I'm not desert as much as I know I'd taste like it to you"

Kayla used the tree as support to stand, looking around to try and find out where they were.

And how the hell she ended up there instead of TRIAD headquarters? Where she jumped in the first place.

This was going to be a long day.