11

When Kayla woke up, she felt odd

She was in the middle of a bathroom.

"Classy" She scoffed as she stood, scratching her head. "What are you up to, Silas?" As she looked at the mirror that was in the bathroom this one suddenly cracked in the middle. She stared at it, "Bitch, am I that ugly?"

Whatever sarcastic remarks that wanted to follow through died in the tip of her tongue as she felt herself burning up, the lights flickering on and off and that feeling inside her as if wanting to explode.

Wait.

Kayla wasn't supposed to feel this way. She didn't have magic. She hadn't siphoned anything in a while.

Warm and wet fell down her nose and as she tried to grab paper towels to clean her nose, it was lit on fire before she grabbed it.

In the back of her mind, she felt a distinct whisper telling her to shut it off. To shut off the siphoning.

"What?" Kayla cried out, holding the sides of her head as the door behind her was opened, looking up to see a distortion image of Damon in the broken mirror. "Damon?"

Damon clicked his tongue, "Sorry, brother"

That was all he said before grabbing the back of her head, smashing it against a wall to make her fall unconscious, catching her before she fell, seeing the gash of blood in her forehead that surely was going to be on his brother's head.

~8~

The next time Kayla woke up was to a few gently slaps on her cheeks.

"Hey" Seeing Stefan hovering above her, got her initially freaking out, crawling backwards to try and get away from him. Stefan frowned in alarm "Woah" he lifted his hands, apologetically, "Sorry. It's fine. It's me. It's me, Stefan"

"He looks a lot like you" Kayla breathed out, this time noticing he actually sounded like Stefan.

Stefan grimaced. "Yeah, I've been told"

Stefan offered her a hand to stand up, which very hesitantly Kayla accepted.

"What happened?" Kayla asked.

Stefan pursed his lips as he handed her some napkins. Oddly enough, her blood wasn't alluring to him. He saw the dried blood on her forehead and her nose but didn't wake his hunger. Loophole, he reminded himself. The link wouldn't allow him to kill someone whose death could kill him.

"Damon was working with Silas" Stefan informed, nodding to the side.

Kayla followed his gaze to see Damon on the floor, dead. She cleaned off the blood of her face as she glared at him.

"Bitch" Kayla spat at him, raising her hand at him, feeling a residue of whatever magic she siphoned from who knows where to burn the side of Damon's head where he had smashed her head to a wall.