9

"We have to find Stefan" Caroline dragged Kayla with her as she frantically received a call from her friend Jesse

Kayla rolled her eyes "He's on a crypt, in that direction"

Caroline stopped walking, turning to Kayla. Said girl was pointing toward some direction. She followed her gaze and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear to focus her hearing and see if she could find a chatty Stefan. He seemed to be a way more chatty when he was drunk.

She gasped in horror when she not only found Stefan but Jesse talking with him. She turned to Kayla, shocked as to how she knew that but didn't wait for another second before she vamp sped away, leaving the girl alone.

If the two of them were linked, Caroline didn't want to risk Kayla dying and killing Stefan so she had to leave her alone.

"Finally" Kayla breathed out as she watched Caroline disappear.

~8~

Kayla felt uncomfortable as she saw the people in here mourning Bonnie Bennett.

Bonnie Bennett who was very much alive in her time.

But butterfly effect. She couldn't tell them that the girl was returning back to life somewhere in the near future.

"I know you don't have a place to stay and all we can do is give you a room in here" Elena snapped her from her thoughts as she led her down the hallways of the boarding house.

She had wanted some sort of distraction from learning her best friend was dead and what better distraction than to helping the new girl settle in?

Someone who wouldn't treat her differently nor as of she was glass just because someone very important for her was gone.

"Uh, thanks" Kayla said awkwardly.

Elena chuckled a bit, wiping the skin under her eyes "You can choose any room"

Kayla pursed her lips, knowing that she could choose her own room from the school. She turned around and acting as if this was the first time ever she saw the boarding house, she came across an empty room, pausing as she tried to recall what it looked like when she and Penelope lived there.

"Is this one okay?" Kayla asked quietly.

Elena peeked inside the room from behind Kayla and nodded with a smile "Yes. Actually mine is at the end of the hallway so you can come to me if you need anything"

Kayla hummed, nodding. "Thank you, Elena"

"No problem" Elena backed away, "Um, see you later"

"Have fun at the funeral" Kayla called out.

Elena flinched. How was she supposed to have fun? She opened her mouth to snap only to notice there was no malice on the girl's face.

Maybe that was her way of expressing herself?

Instead of saying anything, Elena turned around and left.

Kayla sighed to herself. That's where Hope would have smacked her either in her stomach or the back of her head and told her how insensitive she was for that comment.

She sat down on the bed and grabbed her necklace. It held no magic to siphon but that didn't stop her from feeling it was magical.

UGH.

Having emotions like missing someone and feeling sad she couldn't see them sucked

Kayla took a deep breath. Nope. She wouldn't be pathetic. She wouldn't be that kind of girl who cries when she lost her life.

Because she didn't. She was going to get it back.

One way or another.