8

Babysitting an amnesic vampire wasn't something Kayla signed up for

She figured the brother would take care of him so as soon as Stefan began to flirt with the waitress and Damon and Elena do their own flirting while worried about Stefan, Kayla silently slipped away and left the Grill.

She had some research to do.

~8~

Mystic Falls library was way worse than she imagined.

It was total useless about what she needed.

Kayla slammed shut another book. There was nothing in them about Malivore, or time travel or anything that explained why the hell she was in a different time.

She rubbed her temples, groaning in frustration. She dropped her hands and stared at them.

Kayla felt empty, a void inside of her. She could feel the link crawling over her entire being but she could not access to the magic of it. It was not at her reach. Close but so far.

She was a simple human. And she hated feeling so muggle.

"So, for a reason I thought finding you was going to bring me some sort of peace"

Kayla spun around, startled. Stefan was sitting in the chair she previously sat at, a deep and upset frown in his face as he took a drink from the bottle of beer he was holding.

"And here I was wondering why my head was pounding as if I was having a hangover" Kayla said sarcastically.

Stefan paused, blinking. "Is that the link between you and me?"

"I'm joking" Kayla deadpanned. "The link isn't that literal. It only works with external injuries"

"And finding each other" Stefan added.

"That's how you found me?" Kayla asked in interest.

She had never heard of a linking spell like that one before. She wanted to know more.

Stefan shrugged, taking a gulp out of the alcohol again. "How should I know? I'm not a witch. And if it was because of that, good. I prefer your company than those who lie to me"

Kayla sighed. Oh, boy. Stefan did sound a bit drunk. "Come on" she stood, holding her hand to him. "Let's take a walk and then you can bitch all you want about that"

Stefan stood, accepting her hand.

~8~

Damon and Elena.

Those were who Stefan was bitching about. Elena had gone down memory lane to try and get Stefan's memories. Stefan learned she had been the reason why he was in Mystic Falls in the first place and how they were dating.

Elena had been doing a good job on controlling Stefan's hunger all day by giving him all those memories that he found himself adoring. He told Kayla he had wanted to remember all that. That it seemed he was in love with Elena and that it was a good feeling. Kayla did not respond at that. She'd never understand those feelings or why people seemed so happy when they spoke about love and so she wasn't surprised when Elena rejected Stefan, telling him she was with his brother.