Chapter 3

We peered around the corner, wondering if the 'King' was currently in a meeting. The now bustling castle meant it was difficult to find a time to speak to anyone important, especially Griffin. Although, it appeared that he currently only had a few more concerns to speak with as the queue of Terran's was dwindling.

"What you doing?" A voice sung behind us.

Spinning on my heals, I grabbed the newcomer and squeezed them close.

"You're finally out of the hospital," I stated happily, holding her at arm's length.

Running my eyes up and down, I could see that Willow had greatly improved in health over the last couple of weeks. While her skin was still slightly grey, and her Mage mark less prominent than previously, she had a twinkle in her eye and a small bounce in her step.

The Mages who had treated her told us that the little girl had used up nearly all of her supply of magic- a dangerous thing to do at her age- especially as she hadn't even used a proper spell. Willow didn't seem too pleased to discover that this may mean her magic is never as strong as it should have been. However, she was now part of the royal family and was referred to as a Princess, so that definitely made up for it.

"You are looking a lot better Princess Willow," Comet curtseyed as she spoke causing a bubble of laughter from Willow.

Blushing, Willow turned her head downwards slightly, "thank you very much Lady Comet."

"I'm not a Lady yet Willow, your brother Griffin has refused that from me. Unlike these two," Comet murmured angrily, pointing at Honour and I.

Willow looked upset; she obviously hadn't meant to hurt Comet's feelings. None of us had considered that Griffin would give us titles but by only presenting Honour and I with them, it had left Comet even angrier than before. Therefore, we had told most people to not address us as that, but a lot refused to acknowledge this request.

Although it didn't change a lot about our lives, so far both Honour and I had been asked to attend a couple of rule changes. We didn't have any say about them but we were the first to hear and understand why they were brought in, or removed. Comet had not been allowed to attend.

"Are you here to see Griffin?" Willow inquired, changing the topic with her inquisitive nature.

I nodded, "Do you know if he has any meetings next?"

"Not that I've been told about. Plus, he's nearly finished here and they always have a short break after speaking to the public, apparently it's very wearing," Willow explained.

Indeed, it appeared that the queue was reaching its final complainers. Thanking Willow, we joined the tail until it reached Griffin's thrown.

"Lady Amethyst, Lord Honour, Comet, it's a pleasure to see you all," Griffin rose from his chair to embrace us. "What can I help you with today?"

Smiling at me sincerely, I noticed how tired Griffin looked. There wasn't that same brightness in his eyes- which were surrounded by dark rings- and he wasn't normally so happy to see us either. Griffin definitely seemed to be maturing in his new job. This role was signified by the band of woven ivory perched upon his locks. They couldn't use a metal in the crown as that would have affected his magic.

"We were wondering if we could discuss something with you. Privately," I added, glancing at the guards and rebels around us.

"Certainly," Griffin nodded, winking at me as he did so, "my friends and I wish to reminisce about our past experiences. We will take our meal in my private chambers and expect not to be disturbed."

His guards looked uncertain, but Griffin was a Mage and there was no reason we would harm him in any way. Begrudgingly, they allowed us to follow the winding steps leading from behind the thrown to the King's private chambers located above.