CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

MY MEN walked stiffly behind me. It was clear by their reactions that they were slightly disturbed by the stares of those aggregated around us, meeting them with hard glares. Their expressions weren't friendly toward the outsiders I brought with me. They were skeptical and full of distrust, but because they were with me, they didn't have the guts to speak their thoughts and feelings as they respected and trusted I wouldn't bring trouble into our Kingdom. I quickly got used to the frequent stares of curious eyes. Whether they were full of distrust, awe, lust, appreciation, anything; it was part of the job. With a title and a name like mine, getting stares was nothing new and something I would experience a thousand times again.

As we walked, I recognized the people we passed and they recognized me. I gave them nods of acknowledgment upon our passing. On an island like this, we all know one another. For most people, if you were born here, you die here. It was home, and it is sacred to those who reside on this island.

People of the island barely left these comforting shores for extended periods, but those who did rarely returned; and for good reason. Some people comb through every continent and every sea looking for this island, never to find it, or to die trying. They yearn to find the island, only to take advantage of it and its resources. Hence, the people's skeptical looks toward outsiders.

"So, where to?" Arius asked me as he walked up to my left side. Leland strode at a consistent pace to my right, Evander and August were behind us.

"The Three Crown Tavern," I replied, "Everything that we are going to need will be there."

"At a tavern?" Evander sneered. "Please, I highly doubt we will find anything useful at a tavern." I paused in taking any further steps forward and turned around facing him with an irritated expression. I crossed my arms at the first glance of his challenging expression.

"Yes at a tavern." I retorted. "If you have a problem then you can gladly go find yourself a place to stay, but I guarantee you won't find anyplace else willing to take you in. You're an outsider. You won't last a day here without my help. Now you can shut up and listen to me, or you can gladly go wait back on that boat."

Evander seemed surprised by my abrupt response as if he was surprised  Idared to speak to him in such a tone. I think the only woman who ever had was his mother. In a rage, he drew his brows together. Anger radiated in thick waves from his body, but it did not affect me. It energized me. Evander was a thorny and irascible character. That's a kind of attitude I won't tolerate, ever, from anyone.

"Take your pick," I demanded sternly, emphasizing each syllable as I awaited his answer. Arius, Leland, and August had fallen silent behind me, their heavy breaths hushed in anticipation.

Evander locked his gaze on mine, sensing the danger they presented. After a few moments, he sighed loudly and mumbled, "I'll stay."

I continued down the crowded street without saying anything, the crowd parting around us. The four men trailed me without saying anything and didn't express any thoughts or opinions about the plans I'd devised. They couldn't comment on them even if they wanted to. I had devised plans, but I hadn't voiced them yet. I was just trying to get them through the crowd without somebody getting shot. These men didn't even know what gunpowder was, let alone the damage a weapon powered by gunpowder to a body.

We approached a long building that occupied almost the whole block. On the far corner a wooden sign hung over the sidewalk; "The Three Crown Tavern." The brick building held a black painted door with a window occupying the top half and on either side. I marched down the street and stood in front of the door. I drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly as I reached for the brass handle.

The inside looked the same as it did the day I left Calflalm, from the scratches on the brass door handle to the grey-whiskered faces sitting in the barstools. The bar itself was shaped like an uppercase L and backed against a stone partition that housed barrels of beer. The same dark-colored hardwood ran throughout the entire building. Tables filled with people covered the floor space between the door and the bar. A raised, railed-in dining area also filled with tables and chairs stood to the right of the bar and up a set of about 5 stairs. Along the left wall, a staircase leading to the second floor where the rooms we would be renting for the time being were. Barrels were stacked high under the staircase. Not an inch of space was wasted. At the base of the staircase was a heavy wooden door with iron hinges leading to the back room.