CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

ONCE AGAIN, bloodshed consumed the city of Laventhorpe. The destruction spread as soldiers fell on both sides of the conflict.

The Kavan army was putting their newfound skill to use with all their heart. Their opponent was proving to be a formidable one. Thrinfexe had come to reclaim their conquered battleground.

I scanned the scene in front of me for my friends. They were no doubt engulfed in battle, just out of my line of sight. I needed to get the king somewhere he could get help, but how was I supposed to get him through the quagmire?

Suddenly I was transported back to the night my family was taken from me the first time. For the first time in my life, my instinct was to run and hide, not fight.

I had two options in front of me, and neither of them was favorable. I could retreat to the basement and hold my ground protecting the king, where they knew exactly where we were, or I could join the fray, even the odds for my soldiers, and leave him vulnerable to further attack. 

"Bloody Nora!" I swore under my breath. I made one last scan of the scene, searching for any familiar forms.

I caught sight of Blakely-Rose as she swung her fist into the jaw of a man twice her size, knocking him off balance. She grabbed the wrist of the hand holding his sword, twisting his arm painfully behind his back and loosening his grip on the weapon. She spun him back to face her and landed two more blows to his face, rendering him unconscious. She shoved his limp form away from her and released a volley of throwing stars as I began to back away, returning to the King's side.

As I backed away, other members of the syndicate came into view. August and Willow were standing back to back against an onslaught of armor-bound men, successfully holding their own.

Kingsley stood yielding her Daisho skillfully as a female soldier approached her. She swiftly fended off the attack and rushed off to support a member of the Kavan guard who was losing ground.

Mèabh's bullwhip cracked above the din of the chaos as it arched through the air, preventing anyone from actually making it within an 8ft radius of her.

Leland was shoving the opposition out of his way like a bull plowing afield as he made his way toward me steadily.

I felt my senses gravitate to my left as the gravel shifted below afoot.

Turning around swiftly, I swung my sword towards the person in my blind spot. A crash rang out as two swords collided. She growled as she planted her feet and shoved with all her might. Forcing me to step backward.

Anger covered her face. She moved toward me slowly, analyzing me. She brought her sword over her head and swung it down at my head. I brought my sword up to meet hers, blocking the blow as my shoulders absorbed the shock and sent it radiating through my body into the ground. Frustrated, she withdrew her sword and tried to come at me from the side, again unsuccessfully.

One thing my father taught me in training was to never let your emotions drive your blows. They become predictable. It never brings victory, only anger, and failure.

I let my reflexes take over and block her repeated blows, waiting for her to leave an opening for me. There it was! I swung and landed a blow square in the middle of her face. My whole arm vibrated with the force of the blow as she stumbled and fell over backward

"Aislin!" I turned toward the sound of my name, keeping one eye trained on my downed opponent. Leland trotted towards me, struggling to catch his breath.

"It- was- a- trap." He spit out between gasps for air.

"I noticed," I remarked. "Are you alright?" I asked, nodding toward a big gash on his forearm. I reached out to examine it, but he caught my hand.

"It's just a flesh wound. We need to find the King." he redirected.

"That's already done. I just don't know how to get him out without putting him and anyone who helps him in even more danger." I said in a hushed voice.

Leland surveyed the landscape, the wheels in his brain obviously turning. His eyes lit up.

"I have an idea, but I need some help to make it work."

×××××××××××××

Author Note!

don't mind me and my non-consistent updating

I'm sick and it sucks

No covid tho so that's good

I've been thinking about posting another book. I have been working on it for a couple of days in my drafts...

Should I post the preview for fun? >

Thoughts >

Random >

How is your day today? Was it bad? Good? In between?

QOTD: Do you like SuperVillain books?

I may or may not have one or two in my drafts..

Love you all thank you for reading! Xoxox 💋💋

- Mickey ✨