Chapter 24

"What do you mean?" I asked on a rush of breath. "Why can't I trust you?"

"I don't know." He started walking again.

"Captain—"

"Don't, Josie. Just...don't."

He pushed open a door and I realized we'd reached Balthazar's office. It seemed to be the only place we could have a private conversation. I was glad Balthazar wasn't there, however. Hammer was difficult enough to manage at the moment, I didn't want to face the cantankerous master of the palace too.

"I'm sorry," he said, closing the door behind us. "None of this is your fault. I shouldn't take it out on you." He dragged his hand through his hair and down his face. He looked exhausted.

"Sit down, Captain." I poured him a cup of wine at the sideboard. "Drink. Midwife's orders."

He gave me a tired smile and accepted the cup.

"I have something to help you sleep tonight," I said, opening my bag.

He shook his head. "I need to stay alert. There's too much going on with the festivities tomorrow night."

"I noticed more comings and goings on my way here." I glanced over the desk, covered with sketches and notes. The disorder reminded me of my father's desk when he was buried under work.

"We can't stay long," Hammer said. "Balthazar is at the sunken garden but he'll return soon. I'd rather be gone by then."

"In that case, I'd better give you my report." I dug through my bag and pulled out five vials. "I've made an antidote for the poison."

"Finally, some good news." He accepted the vials and pocketed them. "Thank you. This is a relief."

"I also learned that a hooded man entered my house after my father returned on the day of his death. Unfortunately I can't tell you anything more."

"How did you learn that?"

"A neighbor told me after I came back from questioning my father's patients."

He lowered the cup. "You questioned your father's patients? Josie, you need to be careful. Someone killed your father because he knew their identity or the poisoner thinks he knew. If they hear you're making enquiries, they might come after you too."

"Asking my father's patients a few questions is hardly going to worry the poisoner, particularly when I learned nothing."

"Even so—"

"He was my father. I want to find out what happened to him, and I cannot sit idly by while I could be doing something." My anger dissolved as quickly as it flared, and was replaced with hot, burning tears.

His jaw softened and he lowered his head. "Promise me you'll be careful. If you learn anything, send for me."

"I may sometimes say things that get me into trouble, but I rarely do anything foolish. You have my word, Captain."

My promise seemed to satisfy him. "I have some more work for you." He set the cup on the desk and removed a small blue ceramic bottle from his pocket. "After what you told me about the duke of Gladstow holding a grudge against the Claypools, I searched his rooms."

I gasped. "You're allowed to do that?"

"I am the captain of the guards."

"Yes, but he's a duke. He outranks everyone except the royal family, of which the king is the sole member at the moment."