The Spy (Uhtred x Reader)

The timeline is likely all over the place in this chapter lol. I try not to take too much for the show/book series when I write these.

This was all Uhtred's fault. This was his plan. Why did his beauty blind you from thinking things through all the way?  He asked you to be a spy for the king's army. He knew Haesten and Bloodhair wouldn't be able to resist a pretty face and would see you as a damsel in distress. 

It should have been the perfect plan. You were to stay undercover for a few months until the next battle occurred. You were to pretend as though Uhtred and his army had killed your family over a petty debt your father owed and that you were seeking refuge and revenge. Gaining their trust proved to be easy, since Haesten was lustful and a lunkhead.

You plucked a few berries from one of the trees surrounding the Dane hideout. You were a few feet away from the large group of men who were planning their next attack on Alfred's army. You feigned obliviousness as you remained in earshot.

"If we want to weaken the Saxons, we must take villages in Mercia to draw out their forces away from Wessex." Bloodhair insisted. "There are rumors that silver is hidden in-"

Haesten grunted. "What we want is to piss off Uhtred the Dane Slayer. Cnut is already marching towards Mercia. We need to distract Wessex by going after what Uhtred wants the most: Bebbanburg."

Your eyes widen in surprise. Apparently, you weren't the only one put off by this idea. "Do you really want to ruin our alliance with Bebbanburg? We share a common hate-"

Aetherwold was cut off. "Be glad we let you sit amongst us Saxon! You will not speak against my plan. As for you, Bloodhair, the only reason you want to march towards Mercia is to find your beloved Skade. If we take Bebbanburg, do you think Uhtred will pass up on using her as a trade? It is the perfect way to set a trap for the Dane Slayer."

You held your basket of fruits in between your hands and stomach as you walked by the group. Haesten grabbed you roughly and pulled you into his chest. You withheld the frown that almost formed. He forcibly made you look up at him.

"I do believe it is time for you to repay my kindness. You were once apart of Uhtred's army, yes?" 

"Yes, lord. It was foolish of me to ever trust him." You spit out the rehearsed line.

Bloodhair hummed. "Then you shall accompany us to Bebbanburg to honor your family. We shall trade you for Skade. When the Dane Slayer takes you, you shall end him."

"Are you sure this will work, lords? Uhtred already hates my family. I do not think he would care if you killed me. He would think you were bluffing."

Haesten threw you down, wasting all of the berries you had just picked. "Do not argue with us, girl. You have a debt to pay with us. If Uhtred does not want you, then maybe I will kill you myself for being so weak and scared. Are you not a warrior?"

"I am, my lord. Please forgive me for speaking against you. I shall do what is required of me. It is the only way to right the wrong Uhtred has done against me." You brushed your hands against the fallen berries, scooping them back into the basket. "All I am saying, my lord, is that if Untried does not bargain for my life, there should be a back up plan. I have no problem killing him for you."

Bloodhair grunted. "The second plan is to throw you over the wall and spit on your dead body if you do not succeed."

~~~~~~

The Danes began traveling to Bebbanburg a few days after sending spies to relay their location to those loyal to Alfred. Haesten roughly pushed and pulled you along, allowing his men to tease you about how weak you appeared. At night, they made you sleep with the horses, which wasn't the worst thing, considering most of the men smelled worse than the animals. When the Danes took up camp a little ways outside of Bebbanburg's fortress, you took this opportunity to sneak away.

You stealthily weaved in between trees, using the darkness and vegetation to shield your figure. Two voices echoed from the path in front of you. It was two of Bloodhair's men that were supposed to be keeping guard. Instead, they shared ale amongst each other and joked of what they wished to do to the Saxon cities once they captured Uhtred.

Throwing a rock to their right side, you watched as the two men stared off in the direction the sound came from, arguing on who should investigate. As the first one went off, you stabbed your sword through the second unsuspecting Dane's throat, lowering his body to the ground. A few moments later, the partner returned and attempted to scream out for help. You pounced on his frame, using your body weight to pull him backwards as you sliced his throat. 

Sprinting back into the forested area, you continued your journey away from the campsite. Out of nowhere, a large log of wood was swung at your face. Your body crashed to the ground as you scurried to pick up your sword again. The darkness of the night, along with your now blurry vision and confused state, made this task impossible. Haesten laughed at your attempt to save yourself, pinning your figure against the ground.

"Trying to run off to Uhtred, are ya?" He grabbed your face roughly and forced you to look at him. "You think we didn't know? I've seen you with the Dane Slayer before. It's clear he wants to hump you. We will get Skade back and then kill you in front of him."

Grabbing you by the hair, he forced you to stand. When he passed by the bodies of his murdered men, he slapped you across the face. "You whore! You will pay for killing two of my best men."

"If those two were your best, you won't stand a chance against Uhtred and Alfred's army." You smirked through the pain.

Haesten attempted to back hand you, but you dodged it with a swift step backwards. The sudden change in motion cause a wave of pain to crash down inside of your head. He used this opportunity to regain his hold on you.

~~~~

You were trying your hardest to stand as still as possible. The Danes had tied you up around the waist, causing your arms to be fastened at your sides. You were positioned on top of the Bebbanburg entrance wall. The men behind you taunted and joked about pushing you over. 

The Saxon army of Alfred filed in from the woods. A small group of their men approached with a woman tied up in front of them. It was Skade being escorted by Uhtred and his most trusted men. Your eyes widened at the sight of the man you loved. His eyes fell on your figure, his mouth agape with fear.

"Uhtred don't-" You tried to scream out, but Bloodhair clasped his hand over your mouth.

He chuckled at your poor attempt. "Dane Slayer! Welcome to your place of failure. Hand over Skade and I will give you back your pitiful spy."

You watched as his eyes darted between you and the group of men surrounding you. It was clear he was trying to figure out a rescue plan. You rapidly shook your head "no," trying to warn him that his plan wouldn't work.

"Fine, Bloodhair. Release y/n and I shall hand over Skade. Bring her down and we can do a fair exchange." Uhtred motioned for his men to leave his side.

"No, let Skade walk up to the doors first, then we will release your woman. You have no room to bargain here." Haesten grinned mischievously as he stroked his beard. 

Uhtred pushed Skade forward towards the gates. "Now release y/n!"

"As you wish, Saxon." Bloodhair smirked as he pushed your body over the edge of the walls.

Let me know if you guys want a part two :)